2/20/2015

Memories

Childhood memories are fickle things, we usually remembeer things in a way that they aren't. Therefore, when Richard wrote his blog post (https://imasillypirate.wordpress.com/2015/02/17/memory/) (I'm writing this on the blogger iPad app and apparently you can't hyperlink in here (also when I typed hyperlink it suggested hyperphosphorylated which shows which kind of person I am (an awesome person, that is))) I thought it was very cute and very ninja-like, but that I could never do it because I happen to have very fragmented memories of my childhood and I can't place things on a time-line, or know if they did even actually happen. However, today, Mia posted her story on her being basically Anna from Frozen (http://www.triadvstrinity.com/blog/2015/2/19/childhood-memories minus the magic and the snow and Olaf), I felt the need to write something (despite it being Friday evening and almost falling asleep on the table where I'm writing (I'm a PhD student under lots of stress who wakes up every day at 5.15 am, I deserve to be allowed to be tired on Friday evenings)) and I've dug deep in my memory and found I still have basically zero capacity to recall what happened in my early years. However, I will explain something, is not a single memory, but rather a collection of things that happened over a period of time when I was six. Here we go. 

I was an only child until I was six years and a half. I don't remember whether I ever asked my parents for a little brother or sister, I just remember that one day they told me that I was going to have a little sibling and I was superexcited because it would basically be a real-size doll (I played with dolls back then, I was a girly girl, I might have used up all my girlyness (which apparently is not a word, although it totally is) during those years and I have none left now)). I was also convinced it would be a girl. I remember being on the car with my parents talking about names, and we were totally going to name her Anna, and we would share clothes and I would play with her, and we would be best friends. As you could see I loved to plan everything, just like nowadays. Of course, the day arrived when my mother went to get the ultrasound that would tell us whether the baby was a boy or a girl. And of course, the ultrasound showed it was a boy. Because boys are dicks and they screw everything up. I got really mad, I got mad at the doctor because of course she was wrong, and that WAS CLEARLY A GIRL. Then I got mad at my father because it was his fault because he had wanted a boy (I wasn't completely wrong on that one, although the fault was my brother's for being the first sperm cell to reach the egg). Back in hindsight, I guess it would have been really funny to see a little girl so upset about that. Fast forward some months, and you can find me taking care of my little brother, playing with him as if he were a doll, and letting him pull my hair. 

Here's proof that we were adorable. 



So, this is my childhood memory, that wasn't actually a memory and I actually cheated because there are some things I did not actually remember, but knew because my parents told me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment