7/07/2014

A Story A Day. Story 184 of 365: Polite.

Her mother taught her to be polite with everyone, telling her to look deep in the heart of the people, where she would be able to find warmth. She would tell her not to care about the looks, or the attitude, because one could never know what that person had been through. It lead to some uncomfortable situations, however, like on that exact moment.

Jules was the new guy at work, he was awkward, nerdy, and wore thick glasses. Too much of an stereotype, on top of that everyone laughed at him. Of course, she was polite to him, because his life was hard enough. And, of course, he took it the wrong way.

-Paula, I need to tell you something.

-What do you want, Jules?- she asked as she sat down on a chair in the common room.

-I really like you, Paula.- he said with a stutter.

She sighed.

-Jules,...

-Don't tell me you don't like me, you're the only person in this office who is nice to me! You have to like me!

-Jules, I like you, but not in the way you want, not in the way you like me. I think everyone deserves to be liked.

-But, but,... it's not true, it can't be.

As he left, Paula blamed her politeness for yet another broken heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment