7/15/2014

A Story A Day. Story 192 of 365: Sudden.

Voicemail
Thursday, December 8 2011. 2:05 PM.

"Hi mom, can you pick me up when you get out of work? There's a bus strike and I won't be able to get home. Call me back to tell me something."

Voicemail
Thursday, December 8 2011. 5:17 PM.

"Mom, are you out of work already? It's cold and I'm freezing. C'mon pick up the phone!"

Voicemail
Thursday, December 8 2011. 6:21 PM.

"Mom, Lisa is taking me home. You really need to learn to switch on the phone when needed. See you at home!"

Voicemail
Thursday, December 8 2011. 7:55 PM. 

"Where are you? It's getting late!"

Voicemail
Thursday, December 8 2011. 8:35 PM.

"Mom, I'm freaking out, are you okay? Please call me back. Where are you?"


*Phone ringing*

-Mom?
-Ruth? Are you home?- a voice at the other end asked alarmed.
-Tina? Yes, I'm home.
-Don't move, I'm coming over.

*Doorbell*

-Tina? What's wrong?
-Ruth, let's go inside, sit on the sofa.
-You're worrying me.- Ruth said as she sat down.
-Listen, Ruth, this is going to be hard.- the older woman breathed in.- Your mother had an accident this afternoon while running errands, she had left her documentation at work so no one knew who she was.
-What do you mean by an accident? Is she okay?
-A bus tried to brake on a patch of ice and slipped. Your mother happened to be on the wrong place.
-How badly injured is her?
-Ruth,...
-What?
-Your mother is dead.
-No. No. No. It can't be. My mother is not dead.
-Ruth,...
-You're lying! You're lying! My mother can't be dead!

But she was, and she was never able to bid farewell as she would. Her mother was dead and she had a hole in her heart larger than her own heart was.

No comments:

Post a Comment