8/06/2014

A Story A Day. Story 214 of 365: Enable.

"No, stop. I don't want to go outside, I'm tired. No. No. No. I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. That light is too bright, it's hurting my eyes. Oh! I love this song! Why are turning the radio off? I wanted to listen to it! Yes, I'd love you to read me a story. That one! That one's the best! I really like your voice, it's so warm and comforting,... I'm so sleepy. Good night!"

James had cerebral plasy, and had never been able to move or communicate. No one had ever known the thousands of thoughts that went through his head every day, some people didn't even think he could understand them, and they would say the meanest things. In such occasions he wished he were able to scream, to make those jerks shut up. But he couldn't. 

However, that was going to change sooner than he could have ever imagined. A team of scientists, not too far from his place, was developing a mind reading device that would allow him, and others in similar situations, to communicate. When he first heard the news that the scientists were looking for volunteers, he was all excited. Would his parents think about it as an opportunity? Would they ignore it? 

Fortunatelly, his neurologist contacted his parents, suggesting them to sign him up for the trial. Hadn't they always wondered what their son thought? Didn't they want to meet him for the first time? Talk to him? They were pretty easy to convince and they took him to the research facility. 

James hadn't been that nervous in all his life. What if the gadget didn't work for him? He imagined the worst possible scenarios while they rolled his wheelchair through the corridors. The scientists were really nice, and none of them was wearing a labcoat. They explained the whole process to him and his parents, with simple words, but not condescendently. Afterwards they put some electrodes on his scalp, and plugged the machine. James didn't feel any difference, and he thought "Oh, no! It didn't work". Her mother squealing told him otherwise. She kneeled in front of him, looking at him in the eye. 

"James, is it you?" she asked crying. "Is it really you?"

"Yes, mom. I love you." 

No comments:

Post a Comment