8/09/2014

A Story A Day. Story 217 of 365: Ill.

Kim was waken up by her phone at ten in the morning. She was on summer vacations and she wasn't expecting anyone to call her, so she was a bit confused. She identified the caller as one of her classmates in college. That was odd, they weren't particularly close.

-Hmmm, yes?- Kim said clearly asleep.
-Kim? It's Tina, from college.- there was a sense of urgency in her voice.- Have I waken you up?
-Kinda, yes. What's happening?
-It's not good news. Ann died today.
-Ann?! The girl in our class?
-Yes.
-What happened to her? Was it an accident?
-She was ill, she had been for quite a long time.
-But, but,... She looked okay, I didn't know she was sick!- Kim replied, puzzled.
-I know, few people knew. She had stayed positive, and was convinced she would make it through.
-Oh, my! This is terrible news!
-Kim, can I ask you a favor? Could you spread the news to the other people in the class? I don't have most of their phones.
-Of course, I will.
-I was also thinking that the ones who live closest to her town should attend her funeral. Pay our respects.
-Say the last goodbye.- Kim added.
-Yes. Thanks in advance, Kim. I know it's not a nice job to do.
-It's nothing. We will stay in touch, Tina.

Kim spent the rest of the morning calling or texting her classmates. Some didn't believe what she said at first, they told her it was a sick joke. But all were as shocked as she was. When she had talked to everyone, she sat by herself. Kim felt empty inside, as if someone had taken away all her vitality, her innocence. She had been shoved into adulthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment