8/25/2014

A Story A Day. Story 233 of 365: Pearl (II).

The first time he had seen Margaret writing, had been almost a month after the incident that had allowed them to met. Just after Richard had left for the Army. Dame Martha was preparing a ball to welcome spring, her favorite season. Margaret was helping her with the preparations. Dame Martha had summoned her son to discuss some aspects regarding the guests, while Margaret was inking the invitations on a desk by the window. Dame Martha and her son went through all the items, and when they were done James asked the lady about her new handmaid.

-Margaret is truly a delight, my dear. She has a voice like an exotic bird, she recites and reads without hesitation, and she has the most beautiful of the calligraphies. She is quite a find, dear. 

-I am glad she pleases you, mother. I am curious about the calligraphy, I never knew she could read and write. 

-Let me show you. Margaret? 

-Yes, Dame Martha?- the girl replied, stopping her work. 

-Would you mind bringing one of the invitations?

Margaret stood up, smoothened her dress, and walked respectfully towards them. She handed the lady a piece of paper, who then passed it onto her son. James admired it, her writing was fluid and feminine, ad one would expect from a lady of high uprising. 

-This is very pretty.- he conceded. 

-Thank you, Margaret, you can go back to your work. 

Margaret did a curtsey and set back on the table. James stared at her while she worked, she was focused, but she didn't seem to be struggling. He wondered about her life story. Some days later, he had her go to his library. He was reading Shakespeare sonnets when she arrived. 

-You wanted to see me, Mr. Abbot? 

-Yes, Margaret, please, take a seat. Would you like some tea?

-No, thank you, Mr. Abbot. 

He poured a cup for himself, while he observed the girl fidgeting. 

-Margaret, my mother told me you read and write perfectly. How did you learn? 

-My grandmother taught me, Mr. Abbot. She was a nun who left the order because she fell in love, and she always said that an education is the greatest gift you can make to children. She was a very wise woman.- there was sadness in her voice. 

-You must have loved her a lot. 

-I did, Mr. Abbot, she was my only family. She provided for me, and taught me everything I know. When she died I came here and started serving so I didn't have to live from the streets. 

James was struck by her story, he knew not everyone was as privileged as he was, but he would have never expected that.

-However, with your abilities, you could have found a much better position. 

-Can I be honest, Mr. Abbot?- when he nodded, she continued.- No one would believe that a country girl could read and write. If I had claimed so, I would have been called a liar. I knew it was safer to hire myself as a maid, no one would question my abilities on that. 

James almost asked her why didn't she find a husband and married, but as soon as he though of the question, he knew it was inappropriate. Instead he made her an offer. 

-Margaret, how would you like to be able to come into this library and read any book you wanted whenever you wanted?

-I would love to! You are so kind, Mr. Abbot.- she replied excited. 

-It is nothing, I am the only one using it, and I would like to have some company to discuss books with. 

That moment was, probably, when James started falling in love with her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment