10/17/2014

A Story A Day. Story 286 of 365: Sleep.

-Every time I close my eyes, I'm afraid it's going to be the last time.- I told my psychiatrist, fidgeting nervously, it was the first time I had expressed that fear out loud.
-Everyone fears death, Álmos, it's normal.- she said while looking through pages of notes. 
-It's not that Sláine.

We had know each other long enough for me to call her by her name. She has helped me beat depression, and was still working on my myriad of phobias. It helped that we were of age. I always had the feeling that she understood what I was going through.

-Then, what is it? 
-You know I don't need to sleep much, or I didn't, at least.
-I do remember your neurologist talking about it, yes. And I also remember telling you that sleeping was key for mental health and you trying to prove me wrong. 
-You know I'm always up for a challenge.- I smiled.

She waved her hands, leading me on.

-Ok, so I've been finding myself in the need of more and more sleep of late.
-And?
-Well, what if I need to sleep more and more hours every day? What if one day all the hours in it are not enough? What if I go to sleep and never wake up again?
-Do you mean like the Sleeping Beauty? Then, I'll find you some pretty princess who fights the dragon and wakes you up.
-Sláine! I'm being serious.
-That was very unprofessional of me, I know.- she said embarrassed, scratching her head.- I don't know what to tell you, Álmos, I've never come across something like that before. I mean, you are worried you're going to sleep forever, you're not afraid of dying, just of never waking up.
-That's it.
-And what am I supposed to do? Watch you sleep and wake you up every now and then?
-It's either that or me not sleeping anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment