12/25/2016

Dream On. Chapter 4: A train ride.

Previously...


A train ride

“Well, here we go.” Albert thought. He had been expecting that day for months, planning every detail, wondering how much his life would change, and he wasn’t feeling any different. He had thought that he would feel grown up, but he was still the small town boy who was a bit afraid of what would come next, even if he was keeping a brave face. He was worried about thousands of things he had never been concerned about before. Would he be able to make friends? Would the lessons be too difficult? He knew that stressing about all that was of no use, but he still felt anxious.
He looked through the window as the train passed through a bridge over the sea. He would miss the sea, he had been so used to it that some days he didn’t even pay attention to it, but now, knowing that he wouldn’t see it in some months, it felt weird, it was like saying goodbye to an old friend you haven’t seen much of late, but that you’re always glad to talk to. He looked at the waves crashing on the rocks, like they had done before he was born and they would do after he was dead. It made him think of his father.
Albert couldn’t remember Mark much, he only recalled that he was tall and would lift him up as easily as if he had weighed nothing. He also remembered how he laughed as if he had never heard or seen anything half so funny. But he couldn’t remember his face. Of course, he could have looked at the photographs, but even if he did he would forget his father’s face after a while. That buggered him, how could he not remember his father’s face? He loved him and he had been a very important part of his life, even if he had been in it for such a short time. Dammit! And then, there was what his grandmother told him. Albert always knew that Lara was a bit strange, but what she told him was just plain mental.
-Sorry, is this seat taken?
Albert turned his head and saw a guy carrying a suitcase.
-No, go ahead.- he said smiling, thankful that something had dragged him back to reality.
-Hi, my name is Robert, I’m heading to the university.
Albert looked at him, it was a shy scrawny boy, with sandy hair and eyes hidden behind a pair of thick glasses that made him look rather bookish.
-Albert, I’m going there too. First year?
-Yes, I’m going there to study chemistry, my dad wanted me to become a doctor, but I’m too scared of blood. What will you be studying?- he asked while setting up his luggage.
-History, I want to focus in Greek and Roman history, but I love all of it. So, is your father a doctor?
-No, he’s a lawyer, because his father made him be. He wanted to be a doctor, though, and he’s been trying to convince me to study medicine since I was a kid. What does your father do?
-My father is dead.- Albert said his stare wandering to the window.
-Uh, oh… I’m sorry.- Robert apologized.
-Don’t worry, it’s been a long time.
However, it did bother Albert, not because he was not used to having to tell that his father was dead, but because of what he had been thinking earlier. What would Robert think if he told him that he couldn’t remember his father face? He got lost in his thoughts completely forgetting that Robert was still there. Then the train made a stop helping him regain grasp of what was around him. He saw that Robert was buried deep behind a book.
-Hey, Robert! What are you reading?
Robert lifted his head from the book and looked as if he had just woken up.
-Hum, it’s a book by an Icelandic author. I’ve been learning Icelandic for some years now and I’m finally able to read easy books.
-Icelandic? How’s that?- Albert asked surprisingly.
-Well, I love learning new languages for a start. Also, part of my mother’s family raises from Iceland, she has some second cousins in there. However, she doesn’t speak it because her mother never taught her. So I thought it was a pity that I had family in a country and I couldn’t speak their language and I decided to learn. I hope I’ll go one day, eventually.
-That’s cool. The only other languages I know are Ancient Greek and Latin, and I can’t say they’re really useful on my daily life.- Albert acknowledged jokingly.
-Are you kidding? Both of them are really useful to learn modern languages! They are the basis of at least half, if not more of the European languages!- Robert got all excited, his eyes shining behind his glasses.- You could learn any Romanic language without much haste!
-Wow, man! I see you’re passionate about languages! How come you’re not studying linguistics or something related to languages?
-I was thinking to, but I like chemistry more.
Albert stared at him in disbelief.
-More? How much more?- he inquired.
-Well, chemistry is the base for life. There’s no life without chemistry, everything happens because of chemical reactions. Chemistry is everywhere! But I’m particularly interested in optimizing the synthesis of drugs, so the production is less expensive and more people can have access to the medicines they need.
-I see you’ve done your background research.- he heard his stomach rumbling.- I’m going to grab some lunch, I’m starving. Want something?- Albert offered.
-Well… no thank you, I don’t want to bother you, I’ll go afterwards.- Robert blurted out timidly.
-C’mon! It’s nonsense, I’m already going there I might as well bring something for you.
-Well, ok, bring me a sandwich.
-Anything in particular?- he asked.
-No. Well anything that doesn’t have tuna on it will be fine, thanks.- Robert replied with a shy smile on his face.



No comments:

Post a Comment