5/15/2014

A Story A Day. Story 131 of 365: Wish.

The old jar was dusty, and Michelle couldn't see what was inside it. She had found it in her grandmother's basement where it had been stowed away a long time ago. Michelle had been clearing up her grandmother's house to put it up for sale, and she wanted to keep something as a token. She had never seen that jar, however. She took it upstairs to the kitchen and examined it in the sunlight. There was something glittery inside it, twirling every time she moved it. She brushed out the dust to see if there was any label, but it was unmarked. Giving in to curiosity, she opened it. A cloud of golden dust rushed out of it.

-Who are you, who woke me from my dream?- a deep voice asked.

-Uh? What happened?- Michelle complained coughing.

An old man with a long white beard appeared in front of her. He was wearing an old robe and leather sandals, he looked very thin.

-Who are you?

-Kids these days, they know nothing. I'm a genius, dimwit. And I'm here to grant you a wish.- he replied condescendingly.

-One? I always thought it was three. Anyway, there's nothing I want, I have everything.

-Everybody needs something.

-I don't.- she left leaving the genius where he stood.

However, he didn't give up, and he chased here everywhere she went, invisible to everyone, whispering into her ear things she might wish, things she could have. Michelle couldn't sleep properly anymore, until the day she finally gave up and told the genius she wished for something.

-Ha! I knew!- he announced self-sufficiently.-What is it?

-I wish for you to leave me alone!- she said, thinking it would all be over.

-Wish granted!- he said disappearing in a puff of smoke.

It was too late, though, the damage had already been done, and Michelle spent the rest of her days wondering if she would have asked for something else, looking for what was missing in her life, even if she had everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment