11/09/2014

Another year passes by.

It seems like yesterday when I was writing something along these lines, trying to evaluate how my 25th year on earth had been, and I am already at it again, almost 27, getting dangerously close to the dreaded 30. Summing up a year in one post is difficult, how can I explain all I have lived during these 365 days? How can I express how I felt? It's a hard task, but it is not impossible. And even if it were, I am known to try to do all kinds of crazy stuff. So, here we go.

During this year in my life, I have lived in three different places. Funnily enough, it started in San Diego, where I was only staying for a week for Neuroscience2013. Following that I finished my adventure in Mexico, and went back to my parents' house. And finally moved to Barcelona on my own. I guess it's not every year you can say you have been around so many places.

Work-wise, it has been an intense year, with my stay in Mexico to learn a technique, the SfN meeting in San Diego, another congress in Cambridge. Furthermore, the clinical trial I had been working on for more than two years finished, and I was on the verge of tears as I was processing the last sample, it has been a lot of effort, I invested so much time on it, I guess it's like seeing a child leaving home (I'm getting emotional again). It has also been a hard year, being given the responsibility of having three students over the summer was exhausting, specially mentally, as it meant I didn't have a break from Easter to September, but I guess it was just a teaser of the times to come as I close up on my last year of PhD.

It has been a good year for traveling too. Starting in San Diego it couldn't be another thing. While in Mexico I could go to the beach twice in December, actually spending New Year's Eve there which I think was the most bizarre thing I have ever done. And, when I was finally able to go on summer vacations, traveling alone in Ireland for 21 days was a journey of self-discovery. Being alone in the plains, in the bogs, by the cliffs, it gave me lots of time to think, lots of time to appreciate the beauty in the small things. Also, astonishing scenery that still gives me goosebumps every time I look at the pictures. Traveling alone has also helped me meet lots of people, people who has had some kind of impact in my life, but that I didn't feel the need to keep in contact with. People who I will probably remember fondly at some time of my life.

I did lots of crazy things this year. I finished a novel, and starting editing it. It's funny how pushing yourself to do something can make you so happy, I always thought I would never be able to do it, and I did it. And not only did I do it, but I actually started this even crazier thing of writing one short story every day, and I'm already on number 309. I also started singing in a choir, which has been nice as it has allowed me to meet new people, and it has helped me understand I need music in my life.

In general, this year has helped me become comfortable with myself. I feel I am a better me, a me that loves herself, and knows herself better. I feel like I really know what I want, and I don't need to put up with crap from other people. I have understood that I sometimes hide behind a shell, that it's not easy to get inside my heart, but also that only people who deserves it gets access. I have understood that I can be revengeful, and that can be sometimes problematic. I have understood that it is important to have close friends and keep them close, because they are the people who can help you out. I have also become comfortable with my body for once and all, being able to forget about the flaws I see, because, in the end, the person who is with you is not going to care about them. I have become comfortable with the feeling of being alone, as only when you are okay with it you are able to find someone to share your life with. And I have also accepted that there is nothing wrong with being alone all your life. I still tend to overthink, but I am getting better. As I said, and I think that's the most important thing I have accomplished this year, I have finally learnt to love myself, and this feeling can't be taken back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment