1/04/2015

A Story A Day: The End.

This is the end of the road. A year ago, while I was in Mexico, I made the New Year resolution of writing a story every day, or as it turned out to be named "A Story A Day" (because I'm very original naming things, apparently). I've been posting a story every day on this blog, you can find the whole chronological compilation here, if you're inclined on reading that much. It has been a bumpy road, there were times I hated myself for doing that, there were days I was forcing myself to write, not even knowing where to go, some other times I reached out for help on Twitter, other times real life was enough inspiration to me (you'll get extra points if you're able to tell which ones are inspired on real events), other times I've had good friends give me ideas for them. I've written stories I am really proud about, I have also written really bad ones. There was even one week when I simply wrote stories that went from one word to seven because I was uninspired. There have been stories that turned out longer than I intended and were split in more than one part, because the story demanded it. There have been really short but sharp stories, there have been stories where nothing really happened, and stories where I just felt the need to hurt and kill as many characters as possible (this is probably one of my favorite things to do). There have been thematic series such as the Seven Deadly Sins (I'm really proud of that one), the Stages of Grief, Phobia, or Halloween. There has been love, there has been death, there has been pain, there has been a bit of everything and not much of anything.

I want to think that writing this much has helped me be a better writer, yet I don't really know if that's true. It has surely taught me that once you have the habit you can write every day, but also, that it never gets easy. It has also been an escape valve, allowing me to pour all my frustrations and problems in my writing, which in turn, I think, has let me to be able to know myself better. And there's one thing I've discovered along the way, I need to write as some people need to breathe. I am not very good at voicing feelings out loud, so being able to write about them, fictionalize them, has helped me a lot, and I know it will keep doing for as long as I am able to write.

The question now is, probably, what's next? Will I take a break from writing? Will I finally be institutionalized as I should have when I mentioned my intention of doing this? Now that I think of it, it would probably be a good idea. But, actually, what's next is finishing this developing story that I started on December the 1st, and that I had intended to be three parts long, at most, however my brain had different plans for it (FYI, my brain is a jerk) and it is as I type more then 29k words long. I don't know where it will end up, and I can tell you that writing such a long story was not in my life schedule, but the working title for this WIP is "Best" which I guess it will possibly change, although I feel quite comfortable with it. Whether it ends up being a novella or a full blown novel, only time will tell, what I know is that it needs LOTS of revision. Furthermore, I have a finished novel, "Dream On", I need to finish revising (I think I have 100 pages left or so) and find a place where I can publish it or something (in case anyone actually wants to read it).

As you can see there's still lots of work to do. This final paragraph is simply to thank anyone who has read the stories or inspired me in any way. It's nice to know there is people out there who care about what you do.


No comments:

Post a Comment