1/06/2017

Dream On. Chapter 9: At Marla's.

Previously...

At Marla’s

When Dalia saw Albert running like crazy to leave, she knew that something had gone wrong. She hurried up to the other side of the house to see what had happened with her friend. She found the front door ajar, so she opened it and got in following the light that came from the library. Marla was sitting on an armchair, the same armchair that Albert had been sitting on, flicking through the yellowish pages of a book.
-Marla?- Dalia called out timidly.- Are you ok?
She looked at her darkly. Dalia felt scared as if she had just seen her real self for the first time and the real Marla were a creepy submarine creature.
-I’ve been better, but at least I know on which ground I’m standing on now.
-But,... but,... I thought you said that he would cooperate.- Dalia half-stuttered.
-I thought he would, and he will eventually, even if I need to persuade him in some other ways. He had been prevented somehow, but there’s still ways to reach him. I think I was too bold, I should’ve been more careful; he’s not as innocent as he looks like.
She got up and headed outside. Once outside she lighted herself a cigarette, which she smoked while looking at the city lights over the garden.
-You might think I’ve had an easy life. I’m rich, I’m beautiful and, above all, I’m powerful in a way no one can actually imagine. But it all has a cost.- she told her friend without looking at her.- I won’t be able to hold all this much longer if I don’t get a Dreamer to work for me and he’s the only one I’ve found in ages, I need him, at any rate.
-What do you want me to do about it?- asked Dalia helplessly.
-Listen carefully. From now on, you’re going to go everywhere with them, I know it’s not going to be easy, but you already know his friend so stick with him as much as you can. They will ask you about me, you’ve to say that you haven’t known me for long, that we meet on the first day of university and that I helped you settle down. Also, you should move to the campus, it’s too dangerous for you to keep living in here.
Dalia stood frozen. She had never been a good liar, how was she supposed to live such a farce?
-Are you serious about it?- she asked.
Marla looked at her in the eye, then she lifted her hand and touched her friend’s face. She got close, so close that Dalia could smell her perfume, it smelled of burned wood. Then Marla whispered in her ear, almost touching it with her lips.
-I am serious. You’re leaving tomorrow morning. Start packing.

Then she turned around and left Dalia alone standing in the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment