3/11/2012

Things that I got lately

When I started receiving a paycheck I decided that every month I was going to spend 20 € in books or music, now I see that since I want so much music this limit was a bad idea, but on the other hand I appreciate more the music and the books I buy. So this are my acquisitions for this month (yes, yes I know Black March and everything... but I did need this).

Books that I got lately


A Moveable Feast - Ernest Hemingway


I've been wanting to read Hemingway for some time now and I wanted to read him in English, mainly because I think that translations are less strong than originals, but I had been unsuccessful on my quest of finding his books in English, and actually in any other language. So when the last weekend I found this book in a local bookstore I was delighted and I had to buy it straightaway. I started reading it yesterday and I was blown away, his writing is so strong and so true, as himself would say, that I cannot handle more than a couple of chapters per sitting, I need it to sink in. So I guess that when I finish it I'll be able to... I was going to say review it, but I'm not good enough to review Hemingway.

Music that I got lately


The First Three Years - Frank Turner


There are several reasons to buy this album, first it was only 7 € on iTunes and it has 24 songs, so it's literally a bargain. Secondly, there are the most emotional songs Frank has possibly ever sung: Worse Things Happen At Sea, Casanova Lament, You Are My Sunshine, Sunshine State and some live and rock versions of some of his best known songs. Thirdly, there are some amazing covers: The District Sleeps Alone Tonight, Smiling At Strangers On Trains (it's funny because he is covering a song that he actually sung with a Million Dead) and surprisingly an amazing version of ABBA's Dancing Queen. Finally, a third of the songs are "flagged"as Explicit, and they actually are, but I do love the swearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment