4/16/2015

Calypso

She smiled shyly from across the table, it was their second date and she still didn't understand what he had seen in her. Calypso hadn't been lucky in love, all her lovers banishing in strange circumstances. Alan had been insistent, however, and, despite her doubts, she ended up agreeing on going for a date. He was the perfect man, the one her mother would love, he was an environmental lawyer who spent his free time doing charity work and exploring the outdoors. And he was handsome, very handsome. He smiled back at her.

-You look thoughtful, what's in your mind?- his voice was like poured honey. 

-Well, I,...- she stared at her pale hands, she had done her nails the day before and they were iridescent like sea shells.- I was wondering why do you like me,...

-Why wouldn't I?- she stared blankly at him.- Calypso, you're an extraordinary woman. I've liked you for quite a long time. I admire you because you're strong, you're smart, you're passionate. 

-I'm nothing like that. 

-Yes, you're. You just can't see it by yourself.

-You don't know me. 

-Let me try to get to know you better, then. 

Calypso had a bad feeling about that, but Alan convinced her, he told her that she needed someone who showed her the good within her. And that someone had to be him. They dated for some time, enough for her to feel comfortable and open up to him, tell him things no one knew. She cared about him more than she had ever cared for anyone. One day Alan called her to tell her they needed to talk. They meet later the same day, him walking restlessly up and down the living room of his house. 

-Calypso, I love you, I love you more than I thought I could love anyone. 

-I love you too.- she said, wondering where all that was going. 

-You don't love me as I do.- Calypso tried to interrupt him, but he kept on talking.- You don't, you never will. You don't understand the effect you have on men, Calypso. It's driving me crazy. You're always on my mind, I can't sleep, I can't eat, I can't think about anything else, and when I manage to you appear back in my life. It's torture. Torture by love, but torture anyway. I know you don't do it on purpose, that it's your nature. But I can't handle you, you're too much, it's like trying to stop the tide. You're a force of nature, Calypso. 

-What do you want me to do?- she asked knowing what the answer would be. 

-I think we should stop seeing each other. Don't text me, don't come to see me, if I need anything I'll talk to you. If I ever feel ready to see you again, I'll come to you. 

As Calypso bid him farewell she knew she would never see him again. He had been a vital man, sure of himself, when they first met, and she had left him a wreck. She wondered whether that was what had happened with all her previous boyfriends. As she stepped out of the door and into the spring she got distracted with the colors of the flowers and Alan was soon just a distant memory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment