2/25/2018

Information

Sunrise caught me unawares, as it usually did during my sleepless nights. I had hoped that the bath would have helped me fall asleep, however there was way too much going inside my head for me to fall asleep. I had lied awake in bed, I had walked around the apartment, windows open, feeling the night cold against my naked skin, I had tried to read without success, I had chain-smoked. When the sun rose I gave up and put on my running clothes to do my morning run around the Luxembourg gardens. 

I returned one hour later, sweaty and energized to find another envelope inside my letterbox. The hour and the place were perfect for breakfast, so I decided that I would take advantage of that. I took a quick shower and changed into a pair of jeans, a loose shirt, and a thick woolen sweater. I took my purse and I walked towards the cafeteria, which was conveniently located not far from my place. 

This time Léa was waiting for me, she had already ordered and waited until I placed my order to talk to me. 

"Bonjour, Mademoiselle Rothenberg. Have you thought about my offer?" 

I bit into the pain au chocolat before answering. "I have."

"And what is your answer."

"I will do it."

"Very well,..." I interrupted her. 

"You will provide with all means necessary but I will decide when and how. Also, we need to talk about my payment."

"Information." 

"Yes."


"On your mother's death." It wasn't a question. 

No comments:

Post a Comment