2/11/2018

On the Tour de Montparnasse

She had told me to call her Léa, although I could tell it was not her real name. After dinner, we walked together down the Montparnasse Boulevard towards the Montparnasse tower where she flashed a pass and was let through. We took the elevator towards the last floor, in silence. It was a foggy day so not much could be seen from the observatory, however, that guaranteed that there would be no one around to overhear our conversation. 

"As I told you in the letter, I was very impressed by how you handled the things at Pont Neuf, Mademoiselle Rothenberg." She had taken to calling me by my surname and I kind of preferred it that way. "Was it your first time?" 

I pondered what to answer. I could either lie, say the truth, or do neither. I decided to be straightforward. "Yes, it was my first time."

"As I suspected, you have an innate talent for this." She turned towards the window and looked down towards the Montparnasse cemetery. "I have a business proposition for you." 

"What kind of business?" 

"I think you are smart enough to guess."

Murder. That was the business she was proposing. "What kind of person do you think I am?"

"The kind that will do anything to make the world a better place for women." she paused and looked at me. "It will not be indiscriminate murder, we will go against rapists and abusers. You didn't know it when you threw Vincent off the parapet, but we had been keeping his trail for a long time. He had raped several girls." I shuddered. "You did the right thing for the wrong motive, we will change that." 

"Can I take some time to think about it?" I asked, needing to get out of that building and get some fresh air. 

"You will get as much money as you want."

I laugh heartily at that. "I don't need money. I don't want money. I have money in spades, as you probably already know." 

"What do you want, then?"


"Time to think. And knowledge." I said before heading towards the elevator. 

No comments:

Post a Comment