12/08/2014

A Story A Day. Story 338 of 365: Best (Part VIII).

The bar she had to meet with Eirian was actually on the other side of the park. Ismene walked swiftly across it, her dress flowing behind her. Eirian was already waiting for her, apparently she was used to arrive early to places. Ismene waved to her friend from the other side of the street.

-Will you ever be on time?- Eirian asked sarcastically. 

-I'm only five minutes late!- she protested. 

-What's your excuse this time?  

-I went to the bookstore across the park. 

-Hoifmeister's? Yes, I've seen that smile before. You and I need to talk, Is. 

Eirian headed inside with Ismene at her heels. The bar was big enough not to feel crowded, the blonde girl seemed to know the place well, as she headed straight into a patio after greeting one of the bartenders. The patio wasn't too big, but there was enough space for five tables and a dozen chairs. Its walls were covered in jasmine, and the floor was tiled, it had a certain Mediterranean vibe that made Ismene feel at home. Eirian picked a table and sat down, Ismene sat across her, and some minutes after a bartender brought a couple of drinks. When the bartender left, Ismene went straight to the point. 

-I swear I'm going to kill you. 

-Less killing and more talking.

-I. Hate. You.- her friend blew a kiss across the table.- That was low, you knew Leo would be running around at the same place. 

-In my defense, I want to say that I suspected he could be running around, but I didn't know for sure, sometimes he doesn't go.- Ismene made a face, and Eirian decided that if she wanted to discover anything, she better keep her mouth shut.- Okay, okay. What happened? 

-He asked me for my phone number, and whether I was free during the weekend. I hate this hopelessness I have when he looks or talks at me. I'm all giddy like a teenager, I thought I was past it! He called me this afternoon, as I was heading here. We are going to meet tomorrow morning, although to be honest I kind of wanted to tell him I couldn't make it. He seems to be the kind of man who always gets what he wants, and I hate that! I'm no object to be won! 

-Ha! That must be the famous Mediterranean temper, isn't it? I think you're going to be the challenge Leo needs to be put in his place. So it's a date, eh? 

-Kind of, I guess. 

-And that was before or after you met our friend the bookkeeper? 

Ismene could feel her cheeks flushing. She had to admit Frode had made a big impact in her, he was the kind of man she had always dreamt of, cultured, smart, and that special kind of handsome of men who don't care about their own beauty. Also, he owned a bookshop and everyone knew that bookstores are made of magic. 

-Is, come back to earth. What with Hoifmeister? 

-He's an interesting man. I'm going to his store on Sunday, he's going to recommend me some books, we'll talk Greek culture. He knew the origin of my name! Do you know how rare that is? 

-So you got out of the store with a book and your second date for the weekend. That's what I call a successful Friday! 

-It's not dates. Anyway, I get how you know Leo, but how come you also know Frode? You don't struck me like the bookish type. 

-I'm not. - the blonde girl said shrugging her shoulders. - But I had a friend who had a crush on him and she dragged me to the bookstore once. I was such a pain she never asked me to go again. For what I know the bookkeeper is a lonely man, no one has ever heard of him dating anyone, or doing anything that's not book-related. I think he's in love with his books, and it's an eternal one. 

-What happened to your friend? 

-She gave up when she realized he was just being polite. That's one thing that can be said about him, he's extremely polite. I don't see what anyone could see in him. 

-Let's say we look for different things in men. 

-Cheers to that!- Eirian finished. 

After that the conversation took other directions and they talked about everything they could think of, they were new friends after all and they had lots of things they needed to know from each other. Drinks led to a quick bite in one of the food trucks, and to another drink. Before Ismene knew it was almost two in the morning and they were dancing at a club. She convinced her friend that it was time to go, and went back home, she had to wake up early the following day, after all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment