12/16/2014

A Story A Day. Story 346 of 365: Best (Part XVI).

As soon as Ismene returned to her office, Eirian told her off on how she had to take care of her all the time. Ismene felt as if her mother were there, and felt imcredibly guilty for not having called her yet. She apologized and headed to the kitchen to have lunch. There was not much left, but she managed to put together a decent meal. After lunch she headed back downstairs, after promising Eirian that she wouldn't stay there long, and that she would spend some time with her the following day.

Ismene kept her promise, and the friends went for a run around the lake. That time Eirian didn't force her to run faster, or to meet the guys, and she was strangely silent. That unsettled Ismene, her friend wasn't one to stay quiet for so long. 

-Are you okay, Eirian? 

-Yes, well no. I'm having problems at work, there's something I don't know how to solve. It's driving me crazy, I know I shouldn't obsess over it, but that's my personality, I just keep thinking about it all the time, and get frustrated. And in the end it affects the rest of my life, and I start thinking I'm a failure. 

-Don't say that.- they had stopped by the shore, and Ismene made her friend seat on a tree trunk.-You're not a failure, you're a talented young woman, who has succeeded in life, and who is doing what she loves in life. Look at you, you're smart, you've brains, and you have control of your life. 

-And then, why do I feel so bad? Why do I feel like I don't deserve all this? Sometimes I stay awake at night thinking Roger was wrong about me, thinking someone else should be in my place. Thinking that maybe my parents were right, that I don't have any kind of talent.- she cried. 

Ismene knew that words wouldn't calm her down, so she simply hugged her tight, knowing that that was exactly what she needed. 

-Thank you.- Eirian said breaking the embrace. 

-It's nothing. Just do something else and the solution will come on its own. 

Eirian smiled and stood up. Her friend was right, she had to think about something else. They headed back to the lab, and while the blonde girl tried to focus on other topics, Ismene continued with her normal work. She had lost lots of time the previous day with the Recombinator, and time was not something she had to spare. However, she could feel the pull of the machine, tempting her to go downstairs and discover its secrets. Yet, if she could resist Leo's charm, she should be able to fight the urge to spend the day in the basement, elbow deep inside the machine. When Eirian irrumped back in the office, Ismene was completely focused. 

-I have it! I found the solution!- she hugged and kissed her friend.- I can't believe how silly it was, I mean, it was just right in front of my eyes all the time! A small error in a formula and nothing seemed to work anymore! It was the stupidest thing, it's funny how I realized about it while in the cell culture room changing media. 

-I told you so.- Ismene was glad to see her cheerful again. 

-You're the best, Is. We have to celebrate tonight. 

-Actually, I have other plans tonight,...

-Leo? 

Ismene shook her head, blushing. 

-Frode. I'll see Leo on Saturday, we are taking things slow. 

-Define slow. Anyway, half of the city must hate you already because you're fucking Leo, and now you want the nerdy half to envy you? 

Ismene pulled out her tongue and went back to work, she wanted to leave early to have enough time to get ready. When she left Eirian made one of her comments, but Ismene ignored her. On her way home, as usual, the bus passed in front of the bookstore, and she couldn't help but feel nervous about their date later. Would she actually be able to discover anything about the mysterious bookkeeper? 

No comments:

Post a Comment