12/05/2014

A Story A Day. Story 335 of 365: Best (Part V).

The lab was a bit busier when Ismene went back. Nathan was in his place and greeted her.

-Good morning, Ismene. I see you've arrived early.- seeing her look of confusion he explained.- There's a log of everyone that gets in and out of the lab, for security. 

She smiled at him, wishing him to have a good day. Loosening the straps of her gym bag, she walked down the corridor to her office. Eirian was already there. 

-Good morning.- the newcomer said cheerfully. 

-So, you went for a swim, didn't you? 

-Yes. 

-Hmmm. You are nuts, did you meet anyone interesting? 

Ismene remembered that guy that had intimidated her so much. She must have flushed a bit remembering how she had felt when he stared at her, as Eirian started asking her questions one after the other. 

-You did? Oh, fuck, you did! Who is he? Is he handsome? What his name? What does he do? Where does he live? Oh, fuck, I can't believe I have lived in this city for years and never met anyone decent, and you come and meet someone the second you step in town. 

-Calm down! It's not like that. 

-How is it, then? Know what? We'll go for coffee so you can explain me everything. 

-There's nothing to explain.- Ismene protested. 

-I don't care, I need something to make me forget about my boring life, and this is just perfect. 

The blonde girl dragged her coworker to the kitchen. There was freshly brewed coffee, and some homemade sandwiches on the counter. Eirian poured herself some coffee in a mug, while Ismene looked for tea. 

-Almost no one drinks tea. I don't even know where they keep it. 

It didn't take too long for Ismene to find it, and help herself to a nice cup of tea. It was warm, and, despite it was still summer, it was just what she needed. Eirian had sat on the table and was staring at her maliciously over her coffee mug. 

-Are you going to tell me, or not? 

-There's nothing to explain, I already told you. 

-I see you complaining, but all I hear is bullshit. I'll decide if there's something or not. 

Ismene saw that she was persistent, but the truth was that she was in dire need of a friend in whom she could rely, someone she could trust, family away from home. She shrugged her shoulders and gave her new friend a brief outline of what had happened. 

-So I met this guy at the swimming club, who is the handsomest man I have ever met. Seriously, he's ridiculously good-looking. He stared at me and I was a mess, at least at first. There's some kind of magnetism. 

-I need details. 

Ismene rolled her eyes, of course she needed details. 

-He's tall, and very fit. He has eyes the color of forest in summer, red head, and at least one thousand freckles. And he has the best facial bone structure in the world. I think that the animal part in me is screaming for his good genes. 

-Maybe you should let your animal part out, I've heard the bathrooms in the swimming club are roomy.- as she saw Ismene was about to protest, she scolded her. -Don't be a puritan! We both know that you want to do it, you're just afraid of admitting so. Anyway, what else do we know about Sexy McHottie. 

-I know his name is not Sexy, not sure about the surname, though. 

-So what's his name? 

-Leo. 

Eirian fell silent for a second. She seemed to be thinking about something, trying to make some connections. Suddenly, she seemed to have realized something and looked at Ismene intensely. 

-You gotta be kidding me!- she shouted, hitting the table with her open hand.  

Ismene stared at her in disconcert. What had she said? 

-Shit, of course you don't understand. Leo is kind of a local celebrity, he is a firefighter and he saved some kids from a house fire. All the single women, and some of the married ones, started hunting after him the moment they saw him on TV. I think he hasn't paid for a meal since. I've heard, he's kind of a douchebag, though, that he uses women and then tosses them away. Anyway, Leo, man, even if it's only for one night, it is worth taking the risk. 

-We don't even know if it's the same guy. 

-If he were, though,...- Eirian replied dreamily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment