12/11/2014

A Story A Day. Story 341 of 365: Best (Part XI).

Sunday, eight in the morning, and her phone was already ringing. Her first, guilty, though, was that her mother was calling her, she hadn't spoken to Dora for almost a week. However, as she picked up the phone she found out it was someone else who wanted news from her.

-Do you know what time is it?- she mumbled. 

-Yes, time for you to tell me everything.- Eirian sounded strangely awake. 

-Let me sleep. 

-Give me your adress and I'll bring breakfast so we can speak like decent people. 

-Go away!- Ismene almost threw her phone across the room. 

-I'm serious, Is. You need to tell me everything. 

-Eirian, I'm going to the bookstore today, I promised Frode I'd go, and I actually want to go. You can wait. 

-C'mon! You can't leave me like this! Give me a sneak peek! 

-I slept with Leo.- she said holding a yawn. 

-Oh, fuck you! You did? Listen, I'm picking you up for lunch and I'm not taking a no for an answer! 

-Eirian,...- but the other girl had already hanged up. 

So she left the phone on her nightstand and turned around to sleep some more. The phone woke her up again an hour and a half later, it was Dora that time. 

-Did I wake you up, sweetie? 

-No, mum, I was awake already. How are you all? 

-Fine, we miss you. 

-I miss you, too. 

-How is it going? How's work? 

-Everything is good. People are really nice. It's just like I dreamt it. 

-Have you made any friends, already? 

-Mum! I'm not eight anymore.- her mind flew to the previous night in Leo's apartment, Dora couldn't know that.- But yes, I've made a friend, her name is Eirian and she works with me. 

-Oh, dear, that's wonderful!- Ismene loved her mother, but she seriously couldn't understand why she loved small talk so much, and more taking into account she was so far away from home. 

-Mum, I'll call you during the week, okay? Tell dad I love him. 

-He loves you too. Take care sweetie. 

-You too. 

She hanged up and looked at the phone with annoyance. It had wakened her up twice already, so she might as well stay up. It would give her more time to go the bookstore, if nothing else. She got out of bed, naked as her birthday, and into the shower. Her memories went back, once again, to Leo's bedroom, if she closed her eyes she could still feel his hands, his lips, all over her body. Ismene turned on the cold water. Enough was enough. She breathed in and out several times until she felt calmer. When she realized how long she had been under the water, she had to run. She put on the first thing she grabbed, put it on, and ran to the door, not even realizing she hadn't had breakfast yet. 

Frode was outside of the shop reading a book, it was the first time she had seen him in the light of the day, and he was more attractive than she remembered, he had a je-ne-sais-quoi. He was wearing thick-rimmed reading glasses, a gray t-shirt that showed he had surprisingly toned arms, and some jeans. He looked like the teacher girls had a crush on at her school, and now she understood why. She sat on the chair next to him and stared at him until he realized he wasn't alone anymore. 

-I didn't think you would come.- his deep voice went into her bones. 

-Why not? 

He looked at her with his dark brown eyes, studying her. 

-I'm glad you did.- he left the book on the table.- Do you want some coffee? I have also some croissants I bought in the bakery earlier today. 

-Croissants would be nice, thank you. And tea, if you have any. 

He smiled as a reply, and Ismene knew she was in trouble once again. Frode was calm, apparently very intelligent, and attractive. What else could she ask of a man? He returned outside carrying a breakfast tray. 

-So tell me, Ismene, what has brought you here? 

They had breakfast while she explained him her life, he listened to her as if he were feeding from her words. No one had ever listened to her like that before. He made the right questions at the right moments, and made the appropriate comments too. And not even once his warm eyes were taken away from hers, that made her become distracted more than once. 

-You have lived an incredible life, already. You are so lucky.- he said when she finished.  

-I'm sure you've had a fascinating life, too. 

-I have had some adventures too, that's true. Maybe I could invite you for lunch, and explain them to you? 

-Oh, I actually have to meet a friend for lunch, and she's going to kill me if I don't go.- was that disappointment in his eyes?- Can you make it for dinner on Friday?

-Sure. 

Ismene stayed for a while more talking about books and Greek culture, feeling that she needed to know more about that man, that he was a problem she needed to solve, and as a scientist, she would. 

No comments:

Post a Comment