12/15/2014

A Story A Day. Story 345 of 365: Best (Part XV).

After much thinking, Ismene took a decision. She had let her most primary instincts lead her life, it hadn't been terrible, but she didn't like the feeling, she needed to regain control of her life, and that started for not falling in Leo's trap every time she saw him. She buried herself in work during Tuesday and Wednesday, and made her will strong as steel on Thursday when she went back to the swimming club. She arrived late on purpose to avoid meeting him, unfortunately even less people showed up that day, meaning that it was basically Richard, Leo, another guy, and her. Leo stared at her hungrily, and she had to force herself not to fall for it, learning to control her impulses was vital. She kept apart from him throughout the swim, and chatted with him as he did with everyone else. When they were already out of the water, he tried to catch her attention, but she excused herself arguing that she was running late. However, he wasn't the kind who gives up easily, and was waiting for her when she left the locker room.

-What happens?- he looked hurt, like a puppy who has gone without a reward.

-Nothing,...- Ismene shook her head, she needed to be honest with him, and "nothing" was a bad answer. -Listen Leo, I like you very much, and I really enjoy our time together, but I kinda feel like I'm losing control over my own life. Having sex every time we see each other is not a relationship, and although I like it, and I enjoy it, I'm not sure if that is what I want. I want to control my impulses, I want to spend time with you doing something else than fucking.- he flinched at that, and it almost made Ismene forget what she was saying.- My point is that I want to be with you and know that we are not going to end up in bed, or in the shower, or in the forests. I don't want this, at least not now. 

-I understand it, it's just I can help it.- he caresed her arm softly until she slapped his hand.- I'll do my best, it's just that for me sex is a vital part of a relationship, it's my way to express myself, to transmit my feelings. To me sex is as important as talking, and it's just a part of a healthy relationship, as you wouldn't spend a date without talking, I wouldn't finish a date without sex. But if that's what you need, I can work with that. I'll refrain from seeking sex actively, unless you want me to. 

-Thank you.- she kissed him on the cheek, she was pleasantly surprised with his reaction. 

-So, dinner date on Friday? 

Ismene almost felt bad for her date with Frode, but she was also intrigued by that man, and she wouldn't let the opportunity pass. 

-I can't on Friday, let's make it Saturday. 

-Good, I'll call you.- he kissed her goodbye softly, and headed to the door.- By the way, I liked the "in the woods" idea. 

Ismene felt relieved after having let things clear with Leo. It may have seemed stupid, but she needed to be able to decide when things were going to happen. It was that easy. At the lab she received yet another surprise, Dr. Goode had left her a thick folder full of blueprints, papers, and notes about what Ismene had started calling "The Recombinator", it had a much more boring name, yet she always liked to make up her own. On top of the folder was the authorization for her to be able to get inside the facility. Excited like a child on Christmas day, she immediately headed down to the basement. When the door opened she almost squealed in excitement, having access to that technology was unbelievable, she couldn't help but imagine what could be achieved with that. 

Martha found her examining the first model of the machine, it was an smaller one, and unable to process complex systems. 

-I thought I would find you here, Ismene. 

-I couldn't help myself. 

-I know, it's so exciting.- the older woman smiled. -Yet, remember you have other things to work on. I'm going to let you play with this, today, however.- she added after seeing the look of disappointment in the young postdoc face. 

And play she did, so much that she even forgot it was lunch time. The buzz of her phone took her away from her daydream. It was Eirian. 

-Where the hell are you? I haven't seen you for the whole day and I was actually expecting to have lunch with you. 

-It's lunch time, already? 

-Is, it's fucking 3 PM!

-No way! 

-Yes!- her friend sounded annoyed. 

-Oh, I'm so sorry, I was working on something for Roger and I completely missed track of time. Have you had lunch, already? 

-I might be your friend, but I'm not stupid. Of course I had lunch. And you better do to. 

Ismene found the decision difficult, being down there was so stimulating intellectually that she never wanted to leave anymore, but her body needed food. "Stupid body" she thought, only to be amused at how could she be mad at herself for something physiological. If she needed to eat, she needed to eat, and the rumbling of her stomach showed her that it agreed with her conclusion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment