12/22/2014

A Story A Day. Story 352 of 365: Best (Part XXII).

It took Ismene more than 10 minutes to recover from the shock of feeling the sea breeze again. She stayed by the fence, her hands resting on it, her eyes lost in the horizon, her mind further away. The wind played with her dress and with her short hair, but she didn't even realize. She could taste the salt of the sea covering her lips. At one point it was only her and the sea, nothing else mattered, nothing else existed, she was vaguely aware that Leo was standing nearby, but he had become something secondary. She drawed energy out of the sea, feeling fuller of it every second. Her only regret was that it was not earlier, so she had been unable to see it during daytime. When she felt ready, she took her eyes off the sea, and reached for Leo's hand.

-Thank you. 

-You're welcome. You really needed it, didn't you?- he said while pulling her closer and puting his arm around her waist. 

-I did. 

They walked together through a cobbled path to the lighthouse. Leo had made a reservation, and they were seated on the top story of the lighthouse, were the light used to be. There were few more tables, and all of them were small, to sit only two. The view from up there was spectacular, allowing to see the coastline and the lights of the towns along it. Their waiter took them to their table, and helped Ismene sit. 

-This is a really fancy place. I would have never imagined you in here. Or with that car. Or wearing a suit, for the matter.- she told Leo. 

-I'm full of surprises, aren't I?- he winked at her.- The truth is... my father is a food critic. He knows the best places everywhere, and he usually takes the family with him. I always ask him for advice, and use his influence to get reservations. And discounts. 

-Can I marry your father?- she laughed. 

-Sorry, he's taken. 

-Too bad. 

-You can have the son, though. 

Ismene pretended to think about it, and he kicked her softly under the table. 

-You need to learn how to behave in fancy restaurants. 

As all response Leo pulled his tongue. They were served a glass of wine while they checked the menu. Needless to say, the speciality were fish and seafood. Ismene felt overwhelmed by the choice, there were so many things she wanted to try. Leo smiled at that, she was like a child sometimes too. He signalled for the waiter to approach. 

-Our guest is having some trouble deciding which of the exquisite items of your menu would she like to have. Would it be possible to have a bit of everything? 

Ismene's eyes were wide open when she heard that. A man who cared that much for her eating choices couldn't be bad for her. 

-Of course, sir. Will it be to share? 

-Yes, thank you. 

The waiter retired after taking note of their order and picking up the menus. 

-You're unbelievable.

-I just find it refreshing to see a woman actually eat. It gets me on my nerves when you take someone out and they just order a salad. If you're hungry just eat. Also, I like having you full of energy, just in case. 

-I know your "just in cases",...

-Shhh, remember I've taken you here, and that you love it. I'm really curious about your relationship with the sea. I've never seen anyone recharge in such a way just by looking at it. 

-You still haven't seen me at the sun. I think it's a Mediterranean thing. Or maybe not, maybe it is just me, but I need to live close to large bodies of water, when I don't I start to feel depressed, as if the water in my body could feel it. I don't even need to see the water, just knowing that it's out there is enough. And when I'm able to see the sea, it just regulates me internally. It's as if it were telling the molecules of water inside of me that it is okay, that it's there for them. It's soothing, and it helps me shut down my mind for a while. It's hard when your mind is shouting all the time, and simply looking to the waves helps relieve the tension. Well, I don't know if that makes any sense, but that's how it is. 

-I think it's beautiful that you have such a bond with nature.- Leo had been staring at her with warm eyes throughout her explanation.- I can't imagine how that must be. 

-Think of it as with someone you love dearly. The pain of having them far away, the joy of seeing them back. It's exactly the same. The sea has been with me all my life, on good moments, on bad moments. To me it's family. 

-I'm glad I took you here.- Leo said, caressing her left hand. 

-And I'm glad you've taken me. 

What Leo didn't know was that it was the first time Ismene had voiced her feelings for the sea. That it was the first time she had opened up like that to someone she was seeing. There was something in Leo that made her open her heart, and that was new and terrifying, in a way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment