12/27/2014

A Story A Day. Story 357 of 365: Best (Part XXVII).

Ismene woke up, her heart pounding against her chest. She had been dreaming that both Frode and Leo had gone to her house asking for explanations, and she didn't have any. It was still early in the morning, but she couldn't go back to sleep. She got out of bed and watched the sunrise from the balcony, she was unsettled and still anxious. Furthermore, she had expected to be able to sleep for longer, and she blamed her brain for being such a jerk. Well, if she was already awake, she should take profit of it. After having breakfast, she decided to wander the streets. Walking always helped her clear up her mind.

It was a clear day, still warm, but one could start feeling that the days were starting to get colder. Ismene started off without a destination, simply walking around. It was so early there was hardly anyone on the street, it was eerie, yet it helped her. Unknowingly, she arrived to the riverside, all the restaurants were closed, and some shop owners were already preparing their shop. The river was still letting everything refect on it. The boats seemed to be floating on thin air. Ismene felt as if she were inside a painting. She stopped on the middle of the stone bridge, leaning on the stone. Her thoughts were lost when someone talked to her. 

-It's a beautiful day, isn't it? 

An old friendly man was beside her. He was carrying a violin case. Ismene smiled at him. 

-Indeed. 

-My name is Peter, nice to meet you. And who are you young lady, who stares at the river so early in the morning? 

-My name is Ismene. 

-You are not from here, are you? 

-No, I'm not. I'm from Greece. 

-And what took you here?- his eyes were small behind his wired glasses. 

-Work, and wanting to discover new places. 

-You've come to the right place. There's so much to discover in here, when I was younger I toured the country playing my violin, I met lots of people, visited lots of things. And I will never forget it, most of the people from my generation couldn't do it because of the circumstances, but your generation have it much easier, I can't understand why there's still so many young people who won't travel. 

-You were a professional violin player? 

-Yes, in my youth. Afterwards I settled down and started a music school. Now I'm retired, but I come by the riverside to play some days. It's nice seeing people enjoy the weather, the scenery, and the music. 

-I'd love to hear you play. 

-Come, then. My usual place isn't too far from here. 

Peter stopped by a stone bench, opened his violin case, and started to play by it. Ismene sat down on the bench, facing the river, listening to the music. He was an excellent player, and she felt carried away by the music. It transported her to the mountains, by a stream where deer went to drink, a little girl went to take water for her family while her mother milked the cow. On the fields flowers bloomed in a thousand colors, she could almost smell them, a rabbit jumped around, and songbirds sang from the nearby forest. She had her eyes closed when she heard someone sitting beside her. Apparently, Ismene wasn't the only one who wanted to enjoy Peter's music calmly. 

-Good morning, Ismene. It's a pleasant surprise to find you here.- that voice. 

-Frode! 

-Enjoying your day off? 

-Yes. Taking it easy. Shouldn't you be working?- Ismene was happy to see him, but she had wanted to enjoy some alone time, and if he was there she would feel forced to interact.

-I'm headed to the bookstore, but I always like to pass by during the weekends, it looks so different. 

He stared into the river, silently. Ismene looked at him, he seemed tired. 

-I have been thinking, Ismene.- he was still staring into the river. - I'd like to spend more time with you. 

Ismene still stared at him. He was part of the problem she had, and there he was making it worse. But she needed to spend more time with him to take a decision. Before she could say anything, Frode spoke again. 

-I don't want to rush things, we can go out only as friends. The word "date" adds too much pressure. But I feel that you can understand me, there are not many people with whom I can talk to the level I talk to you. 

-I'm flattered, Frode. And I'd love to spend more time with you, too. Just not this weekend. 

-I understand.- he looked at her that time.- You need some time alone. Sometimes I do, too. It helps you understand yourself better, and the others. I will tell you something during the week. Enjoy your time. 

He stood up and left, leaving a trace of the smell of old books. Ismene stayed on the bench, wondering why both of them were so good with her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment