12/31/2014

A Story A Day. Story 361 of 365: Best (Part XXXI).

Richard kept his promise, and when Ismene opened her email at work, she found all the information on the competition. She still didn't know what to do, part of her wanted to do it, just to prove herself she could, but on the other hand she was very anxious about it. She must have spent too long staring blankly at the computer screen, as Eirian chimed in.

-Hello! Is there anyone in there?

-Hmmm?

-You've been staring at the computer for five minutes without doing anything.

-And you've been watching me?

-Of course I have!- her friend confessed.- I was intrigued by what made you stare at the computer so intently.

-Ok, I'll tell you. There's this competition Richard wants me to take part in.

-Do it!- Eirian was always eager to do things that challenged her, and she was always pushing other people to do the same.

-I don't know,... I want to, but I also don't want to. It doesn't make any sense. Leo told me he would be there for me, to help me through the start, but still,...

-You have to do it!

At that moment Andrew entered the room, buying Ismene some more time to take a decision. She told her friend they would meet for lunchtime, and headed to the basement. She had been working on some calculations and blueprints, and had gotten permission from Roger to take down the original Recombinator and rebuild it from scratch. And that would be the first day. She had a huge notepad, and the original blueprints next to it. With a screwdriver on hand, she circled the machine, which she had moved to a different workbench. She looked up and down, wondering where to start. Of course, she needed to take off the external protective panels, but which one should go down first? Ismene always took her work very seriously, specially when it came to machines, because she knew that some of them were a pain to repair if they broke, and she wanted to make something that not only worked, but it was functional to anyone involved. She took another look to the blueprints and started her work, she took notes every now and then, and also drew how the machine did actually look in the inside. When the alarm went off telling her it was time for lunch, she still had much to go, although most of the panels were gone. Seeing the Recombinator like that was strange, as it was basically a mess of wire, tubes, and electronic panels, it was surprising that something like that could achieve what it did.

Eirian was waiting for her in the kitchen. Ismene heat up her lunch, and sat next to her. She was already missing the meals Leo had cooked for her, he was a far better cook than she was.

-So, did you register for the competition, already?- her friend asked her.

-I've been working! Of course, I haven't.

-You better do it, or I will force you to.

-Just what I needed, more pressure.

-Stop whining, Leo will be there with you. Seriously, I don't know what you have done to him, but you're the first woman I know who has been with him for more than two dates.

-I know, and now I leave in constant fear of disappointing him. I mean, that look in his eyes when he looks at me? It's just too much, I don't know if I'll be able to meet his expectations.

-Is, you think too much. Leo likes you, for whatever the reason, and you'd need to screw up big time for it to change.

-Like going out with Frode?

-I'm not going to judge you for not knowing who to chose, I'm just going to tell you that until you've decided you need to make sure none of them knows. Also, don't do anything I wouldn't do.

-There's nothing you wouldn't do!

-My point. Although, to be fair, my life looks boring compared to yours. Haven't you met someone I could disappoint my mother with?

-No, I haven't. But I could help you look.

-Good, we are going out on Friday, then. You don't have plans yet, do you?

-No, I don't. I'm all yours on Friday.

Eirian high-fived her, before starting planning everything they would do. She was like that, she always got very excited about things, and her excitement was contagious. When they finished lunch, they sat for a moment at the sofas, Eirian would take a short ten minute nap before getting back to work. Ismene had seen it a dozen of times already, yet she still didn't understand how could her friend do that. As usual, the blonde girl woke up on her own, she never seemed to need an alarm clock. When they went back in, Nathan joked with Eirian.

-You need to teach me to do that, I could certainly use a short nap now and then.

-I'm sorry Nat, it's not something you can learn, it's something you're born with. Otherwise, I would be rich teaching people how to take short naps.

-Too bad.- the man replied.

-I know, think of all the money I would have right now, and not the money my parents give me.

Nathan rolled his eyes, Eirian always joked about money, but it is an easy thing to do when you're rich to start from. He sent the girls back to work, with a wave of his hand. Eirian stuck her tongue out calling him a bore, and kept walking.

-Going back to the basement, aren't you?

-Yes.- Ismene replied.

-You lucky bitch. Roger won't let me near it.

-And I can't see why.- Ismene laughed before setting back to work.

She resumed where she had taken it. She was contemplating her progress, screwdriver in hand, when her phone started ringing. It was Frode.

No comments:

Post a Comment