4/23/2011

Saint George and the books

Not so long ago I promised to explain something about "Sant Jordi" which is Catalan for Saint George, I guess that all of you know the story more or less, just in case I'll explain it shortly.

Once upon a time there was a kingdom, as all the kingdoms it had a king, a queen, a princess and a dragon. Ok, maybe not all the kingdoms have a dragon. This dragon was bloodthirsty and it needed to be feed a young girl every now and then, one day the girl that had to be eaten by the dragon was the young princess and the whole kingdom was desolate, but they had to do it so they handed the poor girl to the dragon. Fortunately a brave knight named Saint George was passing by and killed the dragon with his sword and roses bloomed from the blood of the monster. And I think he married the princess or something like this.


So which would be the morale of all this? First, that only the powerful get saved because all the other girls that were handed to the dragon ended their days into its stomach. Second, that it is okay to kill endangered species as long as they're menacing your life. Third, that guys have to give roses to their loves on April 23.


Look at it... Could you kill it?

Fact is that Sant Jordi is a really popular "holiday" here in Catalunya, guys give roses to girls and girls are supposed to give books to the boys. The book thing may be not as old as the rose as it was not so long ago that not everyone was able to read, and because it is the international Book Day. Anyways I happen to like this day, you go on the street and everything smells of roses, there are thousands and thousands of bookshops on the street and people is actually buying books, too bad that in the open one cannot feel the smell of the books. I know that here is one of the few places, or maybe the only one, in the world where all this happens, so I just wanted to share it with you. If you never happen to be here for Sant Jordi go to Barcelona and wander around Rambla Catalunya, I'm sure you'll love it!

P.D.: I would upload some of the pictures I took today in Granollers (I couldn't go to Barcelona) but I don't have my Mac and it would take forever with this computer.

1 comment:

  1. m'encanta la moral del conte que matar animals en perill està bé.... xDDD
    per cert jo sí que vaig estar per bcn, hi havia molt bon ambient, molt macu tot! passa que no vaig fer fotos al final... ah, i una latra cosa, em vaig fixar en el preu del llibre ke et vas comprar i de parada en parada hi havia una diferencia de fins a 6 euros!! OMG!

    ReplyDelete