11/09/2011

On the verge of 24

Today is the day before my birthday and as I've been doing for a couple of years I want to reflect on what has happened in my life this last year.

This year I've finished my MSc and started my PhD, I've learnt what working really means and what real responsibility is like and I've made a decision for the following 4 years of my life, which at this age is not that usual. I've had only a month of holidays and I believe I didn't actually enjoy them as much as I should. I've learned what it means to be out of college and that sometimes there is no answer for the problems you face and you've to find it. 

Also I've learnt some things in my personal life, mainly because of thinking too much and also from such a big change in my routine. I've learned what it does mean to grow up: not having time to read as much as you would like to, not remembering to reply to emails because your head is so full of things that you just keep forgetting about small things, realizing that not everyone will like you because, let's face it, everyone is kind of a dick sometimes, including yourself. I've also realized that I've kinda been old all my life, being responsible since I was a kid because it was the good thing to do, but now that I would like to do things a bit differently I just can't change. I guess it's just that I'm different somehow.

Unfortunately, this year I haven't done any big trip or gone anywhere out of the usual (well after Montréal two years ago and Turkey and Japan last year it was difficult), but I can tell you that I'm already thinking about next year and actually I know for sure that I'll be going to London the week after Easter. But just because I haven't gone anywhere it doesn't mean that I haven't had fun! I realized that you don't need to see people everyday to be attached to them and that it's really fun to meet college friends after a month or so of not seeing each other because there are always exciting news. On the other hand I've also started to appreciate quiet moments with my friends, though sometimes we're too quiet and acting way too old for our age (we need an energy fix or something, guess the apathy will pass). Finally this year I got to go to a Mando Diao's concert and I completely fell in love with it, I know it's stupid but this will be one of the best memories of this year, the concert under the rain singing and jumping with the people, almost crying and having this feeling in my stomach as if I had fallen in love.

To sum up it has been a year where I've grown older and more responsible, but it has also been a stressful year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment