8/31/2012

Rock en Seine 2012: Review (Part 2)

Yesterday I started reviewing Rock en Seine, but since I have lots to explain I decided to write at least two posts about it. So here we go.

Day 2: August 25th.

The second day of Rock en Seine started with some music discoveries. First I discovered Of Monsters And Men, an icelandic band with bright melodies and with enormous amounts of energy, they connected really well with the audience even if at that time it was more a warm up than a full set. After them I stumbled across Alberta Cross, I hadn't checked them out before the festival before it, I don't know exactly why, but they are really good, they turned out to be exactly what I was looking for. After them there was the set of one of the bands I was looking forward since I got the tickets, Maximö Park, it's not that I'm a fan but I knew I liked some of their songs and I really wanted to see how they fared live and they are great, they enjoy themselves on stage, the keyboardist even started doing crazy things, like climbing on the keyboard, and in general they were really really good, also they were funny. After them, there came dEUS, I had listened to them before the festival, but not much actually, I knew I liked some songs, but I hadn't high expectations, I mean I was just going there to see what they had to offer and I have to say that I really liked them, which made me wonder how much music I'm loosing out just because I don't have the chance to listen to it. As the day went on the stars of the lineup started appearing, so it was the turn for The Temper Trap, I've liked them since I watched (500) Days of Summer (some of their songs are on the soundtrack), and I wanted to see them when they came to Barcelona, but by then I wasn't keen on going to concerts alone so I missed them out, therefore I was really excited to see them, and they were brilliant, they have just released a new CD which is awesome and, of course, they have those bright songs of their first CD, I'm definitely seeing them again live. Then it was turn for Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, I went there for sheer curiosity and I didn't actually engage a lot on it, I mean it was good, but I wasn't thrilled. There were two concerts left on my schedule, the first one being Eagles of Death Metal, don't let the name fool you, they're rock'n'roll all the way, not only for the music, but for their attitude, I had a blast with them, they're exactly how rock bands used to be, only that now, at one point the singer had a full glass (I think it was half a liter) of whisky-cola in a sitting, I really, really liked them. And the final concert for the day was The Black Keys set, I don't need to say that they are good, because everyone knows who The Black Keys are, even if they haven't listened to their music, and they are even better live (yes, when you thought things could get better it does), I mean I don't even own any of their music (yes, I do pay for music) but if there was a concert of them close to me I'd go without even thinking about it (and I'd probably sing along most of the time). So, Saturday was a complete rock'n'roll day, could it get better?

No comments:

Post a Comment