8/01/2012

The art of travelling alone

The first time it was already three years ago. Montréal. I lived there for more than a month, I know people don't usually say they've lived somewhere unless they have been there more time but I got to live the city. In there I discovered how does it feel to explore a city on your own, finding your favorite places at your pace. It was revealing, I never thought I could travel alone before and I think it did change me for good.

The second time I travelled alone was this April, for Frank Turner's concert in Wembley arena, I really wanted to go to the concert and I knew I wouldn't find anyone to keep me company so I did it all by myself. I had been in London before with my friends, it was the first trip we made together, but I enjoyed the city much more alone, revisiting the places where I had already been, visiting the amazing National Gallery. I guess it was just that it was at my pace.

The third time I travelled alone was just last week. As I said on my last post I got some unexpected vacations so I decided to go somewhere I had never been, it could have been anywhere, but I ended up in Budapest. Since I didn't know the city I went on a Free Walking Tour (which I recommend if you're the kind of person who is gregarious and likes to share discoveries), but it wasn't quite my thing. I realized that I enjoy more when I'm on my own with my camera taking hundreds of pictures a day, because that's the way I live the cities.

I'm not an expert on how you should travel, but I think that at least once in your life you should try travelling alone, afterwards you will decide how do you feel more comfortable. If you don't like it you can always write a post on "Why I didn't like travelling alone", but I bet you will like it.

1 comment:

  1. Jo ja tinc ganes de la meva aventura Australiana......! aisssss!!!! ja faré un post tipus aquest teu ;)

    ReplyDelete