5/26/2015

While You Sleep

I know you think I've forgotten about you. I know you think you don't mean anything to me. I know you think I've disappeared forever. You got used to have me disappear, coming and going, and you've always welcomed me with open arms. You got used to it, and you never complained. So, the day I left forever, you didn't even question it, didn't even think I would not return. But I never came back, and you just thought that it was time, that our time together was finished and I had to leave forever, that I was a free spirit and you could not keep me caged. You never thought that I really wanted to come back, it never crossed your mind that I actually returned. 

At night, I watch you sleep, I see you smile in your dreams, I see you cry, sometimes. But most of all I see how you're safe. I wish there was a way to let you know I'm here, that I came back, that I never meant to leave forever. I wish I could shake you awake, but my body is far away from here, rotting inside a lake where no one will ever find it.  

1 comment: