8/12/2015

A wish upon a star

Dan pulled me closer, the mountain air was cold, colder now that the sun had set. We had climbed up where the lights of the city couldn't be seen and the sky was full of stars. And stars was what we wanted to see. There was a meteor shower that night, and we always said we would go watch it. Dan had brought dinner and we had shared it while watching the sun set. After that we cuddled waiting for the shower to start. I hadn't been that happy in a long time. 

The first shooting star fell before our eyes, after that more fell. I tried to count them, and tried to make a wish upon each of them, but I gave up after thirty. Some where bright, and some where dimmer. Suddenly a really bright one crossed our sight. 

-Make a wish now, this one is going to work for sure.-Dan whispered in my ear. 

I closed my eyes and made my wish. We slept together under the stars and woke up with the sunrise. It was time to go back home. We had left the car down at the town, and hiked back there only to find the town completely devastated by the fire. There was no one on the streets, and I couldn't help but wonder if anyone had survived. Our car had completely burned down. Dan called the insurance company while I called my mom. She didn't pick up the phone, which was strange because she always kept her phone close. I turned around to Dan who shook his head in despair. We tried to contact anyone we could think of, but no one replied. I suddenly remembered my wish from the previous night and shivered. 

-Dan, I think it's my fault. 

-Don't be silly, how could it be your fault? They must be busy. 

-It's my fault.- I started crying.- I wished for that moment to last forever. And now everyone is dead. 

-We don't know if everyone is dead.- Dan tried to convince me, but started feeling scared I could be right. 

It took us two weeks to find out I had been right from the start. 

No comments:

Post a Comment