12/21/2015

Volcano

That trip had been her idea. Bast and Jan had been dating for almost two years and it was the first time that they went somewhere together, money had been tight. When they won the lottery Bast decided that they should spend all the money on a trip. Jan agreed and the next summer they flew to Hawaii. Sun, sand, sea, seemed all that they needed.

Bast had been quite distant for some time and Jan had thought that maybe she was overworked, but never asked her how she was feeling. Bast wanted to find a way to finish it all, she was tired of Jan, of his whining about how he was so unlucky, of his two-facedness and his general assholessness, of how he said he cared about her but never shared anything. She saw him staring at her while sitting on the towel on the beach and she almost wanted to get out of the water and punch him on the face.

That first night on the Island of Hawaii they had shared dinner under the stars. Bast had stayed silent for most of the night.

-Bast.- Jan said finally.- Are you going to finish that dessert?

Bast had hoped for him to ask her about what was in her mind. "A penny for my thoughts" she told herself.

-No, you can have it.- it was very unlike Bast not to finish her dessert, but that was another thing Jan decided to ignore.

-Jan,...- she said as she pushed the plate across the table.- This is not working.

-What do you mean?- he said stopping the spoonn halfway to his mouth.

-You never listen to me, you never share anything for me, it's always about you, but only about the good things. I'm fed up of hearing you say how much of a good person you are. I'm fed up of you being an asshole.

-You don't mean that. You're tired. We will talk tomorrow. Remember, we are going to Mauna Loa.

Bast stormed out, she hated it when he treated her like that. She walked up and down the beach, breathing in and out with the stars as only company. Jan was already sleeping when Bast returned to their room. She undressed and lay on the king size bed as far away as she could.

Sunshine woke her up and she kept her face expressionless until they arrived to the top of the volcano. The views were breathtaking, the blue of the ocean stretching for miles, the green of the forests, the other islands. And the sulfuric smell of molten lava. Jan approached her to hug her, but Bast avoided him.

-Bast,...

-NO!- she walked closer to the edge of the crater, warm air flushing her cheeks, vaporizing the tears.

-Bast,...- he started again.

-Listen to me, Jan. Listen to me for a second. I can't stand it anymore, I don't love you. I'm tired of you, stay the fuck away from me.

He approached her.

-You don't know what you're saying. It's not you who is talking, I know. I'm your boyfriend, remember? I know you.

-You don't know me. Stop patronizing me. Leave. Me. Alone.

-But I love you. And you love me, I know you do.

The fulgor of the molten lava shone on Bast's eyes.

-Leave. Me. Alone.- she bellowed as she shoved him into the volcano.

No comments:

Post a Comment