5/23/2017

Dream On. Chapter 82: The father

Previously...

The father

The party was still full on when Robert and Octavia went back to it, and, this time, they couldn’t do anything to avoid getting wet from head to toe. A short blond woman handed them a pair of towels.

-I’m sorry, they are untamable.- she said referring to the children.- I’m Christie, can I help you in any way?

-Yes, we are looking for Mister Walters. Tomas?- replied Octavia while drying her hair.

-Sure, Tom is inside! Get in, don’t worry the house is already flooded.- Christie invited them.

They followed her inside into the living room where several adults were drinking lemonade and sodas. All of them looked as wet as they did, which made them feel less guilty for all the water they were leaving on the floor.

-Tom, this are…- she turned towards them.- What are your names?

-Robert and Octavia.- the girl replied.

-That’s it, Octavia and Robert, and they are looking for you.- Christie said to a tall handsome man sitting on a camping chair. He cocked his head.

-I don’t think I know you, you were not in my class, where you?

-We didn’t, Mister Walters. We want to talk you about something else… would you mind if we talked outside?- replied Robert.

He followed them to the back yard, which was smaller, but also more silent. There where a pair of trees with a hammock hanging between them. Octavia sat on the railing of the porch, while Robert and Tom stayed standing in front of her.

-Mister Walters,…- she started.

-Call me Tom, in here no one calls each other Miss or Mister.

Octavia shrugged her shoulders and continued.

-Well, then. Tom, we have come to meet you because we know Marla, your daughter, or what she has become, rather.- Tom tensed when he heard his daughter’s name.- The thing is, she has kidnapped one of our friends and we think she might hurt her if she doesn’t get what she wants. We know it might be hard to believe, it is your own daughter after all, but she is not a good person, right now.

-I knew they would spoil her, I told my ex-wife, I told her that she was making a mistake. What exactly has she become?

-She is… some kind of witch.- Robert tried to make it sound better than it was, but it was difficult to fix it.- She has too much power, and she seems to want more and more. We have a friend, Albert, who also has a special power, and she tried to make him work for her.- he stopped, pondering whether to tell him or not, he deserved to know it, lying would be worse.- She killed both his grandmother and his sister. And the girl Marla has kidnapped? She is Myriam, Albert’s girlfriend.

Tom leaned against the railing, seemingly broken inside. Octavia stroked his arm.

-If we have come here, it is because Albert thinks that inside all that power and that wickedness, Marla, the Marla you knew, is still there. So maybe, if she saw you again we would be able to rescue her. But we need to go to the cathedral as soon as possible, before anything horrible happens.- she comforted him.

-Are you sure?- Tom asked her with tears in his eyes.- Are you completely sure that there is still hope for my girl?- Octavia nodded.- Then let’s go.

They got back inside where Tom waved goodbye to all the gathered, telling them that he had to do something urgent, that he would see them later. Afterwards, they crossed the front yard again, where all the kids swirled around the older man. Apparently, they all were or had been in his class. Rose had been right, everyone loved Tom.
-We will take my car.- he said when they arrived at his house, he entered his house and took the car keys leaving the door unlocked behind him.- Everyone leaves their door open in here.- he explained them.

They got inside the car and started driving.

-I haven’t been able to see Marla since she was five, you know? Her mother took her away and then she had all kinds of protection around her. I couldn’t call her as any time I tried to the call just didn’t pass by. I even tried to go look for her at first. The first time a pair of tall muscular men beat me so badly I had to go to the hospital, after that it was as if the house she was living in had vanished. I sent her letters with the hope that those would pass through, but if they did she never replied. However, I still love my daughter, and I want her to be free.

-And we will help you.- replied Octavia in tears.- We will.


No comments:

Post a Comment