5/15/2011

Midnight in Paris, literature and lottery

Yesterday I went to see "Midnight in Paris" with some friends, and I have to say that I loved it. It's not that I'm a fan of Woody Allen's films, I've only seen Match Point and Scoop, but I guess that it's because I'm completely in love with Paris. So yeah, I really liked it, I would watch it again, my friends enjoyed it but they didn't love it mainly because of the fantasy part of it, but for me that was one of the best parts. If you've seen the film I have to tell you that I completely fell in love with the Hemingway in the film, even if he talked a bit too much. Also I really liked the message of the film, it makes you think that we might not be enjoying the present as much as we should do. 

As I said I fell in love with Hemingway and I soundly regret I haven't read any of his books, so that might be the next thing I'll do. Actually I realized that in here we are not taught real literature, most of us haven't read the classics or anything decent when we finish high school, actually I know I've read lots of books but a few universal classics, I've read Huckleberry Finn, Dorian Gray, some Poe, Lord of the Flies, The Catcher in the Rye, and some spanish classics like Miguel Delibes, but I haven't read Hemingway, I haven't read Kafka, Dostoyevsky or Tolstoi, and I definitely should. I've read plenty of new literature, but not everything was really good, and most of the people I know will never think of reading anything that is not light literature if they get to read anything at all. 

This takes us to lottery, last Wednesday at English Class we were talking about what would we do if we got to win lots of money on the lottery, most of the people said thinks like travelling, buying a house and other things like that. But I think I wouldn't do anything like that, of course I would travel, but not like for a year long, maybe a couple of weeks every year. What I was thinking about was setting up a bookshop, not a normal bookshop but one on which you could find the best books of all times and also incredibly underrated authors, a place that would look like grandma's library in her big house in the countryside, with sofas to sit down and have a coffee while reading the book you've just bought and where you could find the original versions of some of these books, in hardcover. I can imagine shelves full of the best names of literature, the air smelling a mix of new and old books, soft carpets on the wooden floor and a shop attendant who would actually have read all them. Of course I wouldn't give up my work in research because I love it, but the shop would be mine and I would be able to go there on Saturdays or at late afternoons just to check how is it going and enjoy the atmosphere. 

1 comment:

  1. Hauré de veure la peli. I és veritat, no es llegeixen clàssics, jo tot just "començo" ara... però és el que dius, la gent només s'interessa per coses lights, és com amb les pelis... quantes pelis bones es poden veure als cinemes? la majoria són xorrades.
    I per cert... el tema de la botiga de llibres estaria molt bé! Ja saps, estalvia i t'agafes un local mono i endavant! jeje. Per cert, m'ha fet recordar a una llibreria que hi ha a oporto, que es veu que s'hi van gravar algunes escenes de Harry Potter, que es diu Livreria Irmao (o alguna cosa així)

    ReplyDelete