8/20/2011

15 bands/musicians I listen to that you might want to consider

This blog is not a music blog, that's why I don't usually talk about music. But since sometimes I found music recommendations useful that's why I'm writing this post. I got to know most of the bands through a german indie station named Indie Goes To Hollywood, some of them through collaborations between bands and some just because I came across them. I won't be posting videos, but just because I think it would make it too long and because everybody knows how to use youtube.

1. a-ha: Norway. I know it's not exactly a new band, but for me it's timeless music. Songs: appart from the obvious Take On Me, also Forever Not Yours, Shadowside, Did Anybody Approach You and Summer Moved On.

2. Apparatjik: England, Norway, Denmark and Sweden. Apparatjik is not easy to describe, because is not like anything else and even if their members are part of Coldplay, a-ha and Mew, they sound nothing like them, except of the obvious fact that Jonas is the lead singer. Songs: Datascroller, Look Kids and my favourite One Less Thing To Worry About.

3. Mando Diao: Sweden. Well Mando Diao is Rock and Roll but now. Songs: Dance With Somebody, Gloria, Song for Aberdeen and All My Senses.

4. Sugarplum Fairy: Sweden. They raise from the same city of Mando Diao, actually their two lead singers are brothers of one of Mando Diao's lead singers, so I guess it all stays in the family. Songs: You Can't Kill Rock'n'Roll, In Berlin, Harder To Say I'm Sorry and Left, Right, Black, White.

5. Carl Norén: Sweden. One of the lead singers in Sugarplum Fairy, he decided to go solo for a while doing a completely different music, relying more on raw feelings, well actually I don't know how to explain it, so just listen to it. Songs: Going Out Tonight, That's The Way I Like It and Tired Of Running.

6. Viktorious: Sweden. He's Carl Noren's brother and also the other Sugarplum Fairy lead singer, he is going solo for a while too but the style he has chosen is not quite the same as his brother's as he went for some electronic-pop music, he did something he called "Viktorious Weekends" letting fans download for free some of his songs and right now he's doing Viktorious Weekdays posting acoustic versions of his songs on youtube. Songs: Scandalous, Save Me From Falling and Killing The Fun make sure you check the acoustic version of this one too.

7. Frank Turner: England. Frank Turner is, as I've read on some Youtube comments, god if god could sing and was so good looking. I must confess I'm completely in love with him, irrationally in love, but it's really easy to fall in love with him, his lyrics are mind blowing and the energy he puts on singing all his songs, the way he pours his feelings in them. Songs: Worse Things Happen At Sea, Photosynthesis, The Road, If I Ever Stray, One Foot Before The Other and The Fastest Way Home.

8. The Hoosiers: England. The Hoosiers are a blast of energy, it's the only way I can define them. Songs: Goodbye Mr. A, Bumpy Ride and Choices.

9. Young The Giant: USA, California. I don't know what to say of them, you've to listen to their music, that's it. Songs: My Body and Cough Syrup. Really, check them.

10. Barcelona: USA, Washington. Barcelona it's an amazing city and also an amazing band, they are about to release their second album. Songs: It's About Time, Come Back When You Can and Please Don't Go.

11. Two Door Cinema Club: Northern Ireland. They have been quite a revelation around here and anyone who has listened to them can see why, catchy songs and somehow different to other indie bands. Songs: Do You Want It All, I Can Talk, Undercover Martyn and What You Know.

12. Blackroom: Norway. They are not a well known band, but believe me when I say that Ole's voice is the best male voice I've ever listened to, ever. They used to be named Lorraine, but then they changed it to Black Room just before the release of their second album and to Blackroom after that. Songs: I Feel It (Lorraine), Twenty Years Under Water (Lorraine) and Italian Girlfriend (Black Room).

13. The Temper Trap: Australia. One of their songs was featured on (500) Days of Summer and after that on a lot of advertisements, it's trademark is Dougy's falsetto. Songs: Sweet Disposition, Fader and Science Of Fear.

14. Sigur Rós: Iceland. I guess most of you have heard of them, they are one of the most famous bands in Iceland and not only in there but also in other countries, and all this singing only in Icelandic or in Hopelandic. Songs: Hópipolla, Við spilum endalaust, Ára bátur and Goobledigook.

15. Jónsi: Iceland. He's the lead singer in Sigur Rós and he went solo last year to do a marvelous album completely in English, he did a song for "How to train your dragon" too. Songs: Boy Lilikoi, Tornado and Grow Till Tall.

That's it for today, I still have some left, but I think it's enough for now. I hope you enjoy them!


2 comments:

  1. some great choices ....I actually didnt know some of them and start listening to their music =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to hear this! Which ones did u start listening to?

    ReplyDelete