10/22/2011

Violence leads nowhere

This week has been a "special" week, on Thursday two things happened, first: ETA (the terrorist group) announced that they were stopping their armed activity, second: Gaddafi was caught and killed. I just want to reflect on both topics.

ETA has been a huge problem here, in Spain, they would kill politicians, policemen and civils, because they thought that they would get the independence for the Basque Country like this. They have killed more than 800 people, and now that they are supposed to end they don't even show remorse about it, they just remembered their dead and their prisoners, I guess because they don't think they've done anything wrong. Let me ask you something, how can you be part of a group who kills people and not feel guilty about it? Anyways, it's a good thing they're stopping though it would be even better if they handed out their weapons and apologized for all the harm they've done.

As for Gaddafi we all know how he ended up, but I think they shouldn't have killed him. I know it's difficult to hold a crowd after everything that happened in Libia, but killing him was not the right thing to do. I'm against death penalty because I think that people who have done harm need to live all their lives knowing that they are imprisoned because of what they've done, killing them doesn't solve the problem. Well, back to what I was saying, Gaddafi had to be judged for everything he had done, because killing him has converted him in a martyr, his followers will think that he was murdered for fighting for a good cause and this will lead to more violence, maybe not now, but maybe in some years.

To end, I find it startling that we, humans, have such a need of killing each other for stupid things, I don't know maybe I'm too naïve or something, but I still don't see the point on it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment