7/06/2012

Things that I got lately

It's been ages since I wrote a post about new music and new books, so since I'm bored and the time is ripe I'm just gonna update you about that.


Music I got lately


Actually it has been a month since I bought the last CD but I still could put together enough time to write about it, so here it is, the last CD I bought is:

Frank Turner - The Second Three Years
I wanted to buy it since it got released but since I've got this politics of buying only one CD and one book per month, I kept delaying its purchase. So what changed my mind? Well, basically one day at work I could stop singing Frank's cover of NOFX "Linoleum", so voilà I got the CD the same day. There are some really great songs like "Rock & Roll Romance", "Pass It Along", "Song For Eva Mae" and "Sailor's Boots" and also some great covers "Build Me Up Buttercup", "On A Plain", "Linoleum" and quite surprisingly a pure gold version of "Last Christmas" that I'm planning to play on repeat next Xmas to keep out the season's blues.

Books that I got lately


I don't know if I've said it before but I use to go to bookshops quite often, actually almost every day that I'm next to one and got some spare time, I do love books and getting to a bookshop gives me a kind of Stendhal's syndrome (I've never fainted but I can feel my endogenous opiod system acting in there). So what I usually do is go directly to the English section of the bookstore and check for new stuff, I use to go every week or so, therefore I can tell what's going on, usually the books are pretty much the same, but I can see some of my own influence in there, for example weeks after I got Hemingway's "A Moveable Feast" they had "The Old Man And The Sea". Whatever. So last time I went I got this:

Irvine Welsh's Trainspotting
I had seen the film before reading the book so I kinda knew what to expect. It still surprised me, first of all, at the start, I couldn't understand a word, the trouble with ESOLs is that we learn standard English and we never get to slang or to "accent" writing, and this book it's just the writing of spoken Scot. It was hard at the start, I won't deny it, but I got used to it and at the end I was disappointed if there was normal English. Furthermore, the different points of view give you a deeper insight on what's happening in the story and all the personal dramas every one of the characters is living. It's hard, but it's worth a read.


No comments:

Post a Comment