7/23/2012

Unexpectedness, happiness and other serious stuff

Have you ever had an unexpected vacation? I'm about to. Last Friday I was talking with my boss/thesis director about holidays and since I'll be really busy in August he told me to take a week off, from today.  As you can imagine I went crazy, I didn't have anything planned and I knew that if I stayed home i wouldn't get to rest, so I started looking for plane tickets. So, I'm flying to Budapest tomorrow, I haven't planned anything though I think that the people from the hostel I'm staying in will help me. Since it's an unexpected trip I don't have any expectations, I didn't even have in mind to visit Budapest any time soon, I wanted to go eventually, but just not now. I guess I'll have fun.

Furthermore I'm happy to announce that I've passed the CPE exam, with a B! I'm really happy but I don't really feel as if I didn't need to study English anymore and, unfortunately, there aren't many places where you can study English past this level.

Finally, I want to talk about something really serious, yesterday a fire broke out in La Jonquera (that's in Catalonia, in northern Spain) and because of the weather conditions, there was a strong north wind, it spread rapidly, furthermore another fire broke out a few kilometers from there (in Portbou). The second fire is already under control, but the first one has already burnt 14,000 hectares (34,000 acres) and it's not yet controlled. Firemen from Catalonia are getting help from their French and Spanish counterparts and from the Spanish Army, but there's still lots of work to do. 4 people have already died because of the fire and lots of people have lost their houses or their farms under the fire. And everything because someone threw a lit cigarette from a car (this is the first hypothesis). People just doesn't realize how fast you can loose everything you worked for, and how devastating a simple stupid act can be. From here I want to give support to everyone who is suffering the consequences of the fire and to the firemen who are fighting it (both professionals and volunteers).

In this map you can see the extension of the burned area

No comments:

Post a Comment