3/17/2014

A Story A Day. Story 72 of 365: Candy.

All the kids were gathered around Jack. The six-year-old boy was explaining something in a hushed voice. Brenda, their tutor, got closer, trying to eavesdrop what the children were saying. She was worried about Jack, his parents had just divorced, and he had been more cheerful than usual. Brenda had been wanting to talk to him for days, but she had always been too busy.

-You're lying! No one gives you free candy!- the voice of Sally, the know-it-all from the class, broke Brenda's train of thought. 

-My neighbor, Mr. White, does! 

-Liar! 

Brenda decided that was as a good time as any to talk to the little boy. Also, she hadn't liked the free candy talk a bit. She called Jack apart.

-What was that about Mr. White?

-He takes care of me. In the afternoons. And he gives me candy. Lots of candy!- his eyes opened wide.- He told me not to tell you! It's our secret!

The kid refused to talk anymore, so Brenda decided to go speak to his mother. Jack's mother lived in an old neighborhood were kids played on the streets, there were few cars, and everyone knew each other. Brenda pressed the doorbell.

-Oh, hello. You are Jack's teacher, right? Brenda? I was about to leave.

-It's not going to take me long, Mrs....- she didn't know what to call her anymore.

-Call me Becca.

-Ok, Becca. I heard Jack talking about Mr. White giving him candy, today at school. But when I tried to talk to him about it, he told me it was a secret. Are you aware of this?

-Oh, Mr. White has been giving candy to the kids for ages! I used to go when I was a kid, he's a candy maker, and would let us try the candy before he put it on sale.

Brenda was relieved.

-I was worried he might have been molesting Jack,..

-Don't worry, it is widely known that Mr.White prefers goats. 

No comments:

Post a Comment