10/06/2015

Voices in the walls

I started hearing my neighbors after a month or so of moving in my new apartment. They seemed to have the TV on at all times, but other than that I could not make ppout what they were saying. I never spent much time home, anyway, busy as I was with work, a relationship I had just started, and a thousand different things I did to keep myself busy, so the noise didn't annoy me much. As winter came, thinks changed. It was cold, so cold that sometimes I worked from home, that was when, from the silence of my home, I really started hearing what my neighbors were saying. 

At first, I thought they were speaking to each other. Until one day, when I was really focused on my work, I distinctively heard my name. 

-Lynn, we know you're there and you can hear us.- said a deep male voice. 

-Yes, we know you're alone.- added a high-pitched woman's voice. The two voices crashed and gave me a headache. 

-Of course Lynn is alone, silly. No one ever wants to be with Lynn. Isn't that right? You are always alone. All your life. 

I was frozen on the spot. How could they know it? How could they know the fears that were haunting me? The woman's voice continued. 

-No one wants to be with you because they all hate you. They think you're insufferable and they want to kill you. 

-But they won't kill you, don't worry. They would need to get close to you, to kill you. No. They are actually hoping you do the deed yourself.- the man's voice took it up from where the woman's had left it. 

-Even your mother. Your father would to if he hadn't stopped caring about you when he ran away. Do you ever wonder why he ran away, Lynn? He ran away because of you. 

I stopped listening at that moment. I covered my ears with my hands and started singing outloud to block them out. I sat on the floor crying until I fell asleep. P

The following day I went to talk to the landlady to tell her the neighbors were bothering me. She gave me a puzzled look. 

-There's no one living on the appartment next to yours.- she said. 

-Are you sure?- chills creeped down my spine. 

-Yes, let me show you. 

She opened the door and a dusty living room welcomed us, it was empty except for an old armchair. No one had been in there for some time, that was clear. I thanked her and went back to my apartment, wondering if I had imagined all of it. 

I hadn't. The voices kept talking to me, taking me down. No one else seemed to hear them, though. In the end I decided that the only thing I could do was move out. I had packed everything when they talked to me again. 

-Oh, you think you're leaving us behind, don't you, Lynn?- the man's voice asked mockingly. 

-Well, guess what,... You're never leaving us behind because we live inside your head.- the high-pitched voice echoed inside my head as I crumbled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment