10/20/2015

Worse things happen at sea

We set sail from Barcelona. The boat was Morgan's, I had never sailed before. It wasn't a big boat, I don't know much about ships, but he could take care of everything on his own. It was August and the weather was fantastic, we planned to spend the whole month sailing through the Mediterranean. I'd spend the day sunbathing while he took us from bay to bay, from one fishing hamlet to the other. We fished and we bought food from the locals, avoiding the crowds and the big cities. We saw Cannes from afar, and Monaco. We sailed to Corsica, to Sardignia, to Capri. We spent more time on the boat that on the land, surrounded by the blue sea. I can still feel the smell, the salt on the air. Have you ever made love on a rocking boat? 

We had a couple of weeks of good weather, yet we were prepared for the summer storms. And they came. One day we woke up and the skies were grey, the sea was calmer than I had ever seen it, not a gust of wind. 

-It's going to be a strong one.- said Morgan, before getting the boat ready to survive the storm. 

We hid inside the cabin, outside the waves crashed against the hull and the wind blew looking for the sails Morgan had pulled down before. It started raining heavily, so heavily we could not hear each other. Morgan wrapped his arms around me and told me it was okay, that he had been on worse ones. We fell asleep on each other's arms. It was late at night when a knock woke us up. It sounded as if something had crashed on board. 

-It's probably only a fish.- he whispered.- Go back to sleep. 

Few seconds later the knocking returned, louder. And another time, on the door. And twice more. Something was knocking on the door in the middle of the Sea. Morgan got out of bed and picked a bat before opening the door. 

There was nothing. He closed the door behind him and came back to bed. He was just climbing next to me when we heard the knocking again. It was insistent this time, as if someone was really outside. Except it was impossible. 

-Maybe it's the wind.- I said, Morgan pulled me closer. 

The door opened with a bang. It was stark dark outside, with only the lighting shinning through the blackness. A silhouette dark against the dark blue sky showed through the door. It smelled like seaweed and didn't have a definite form, it was more like whisps of sea condensed into a bundle. Her voice was like waves washing on the shore, but I couldn't understand what she said. 

-Back off.- Morgan told me, facing the figure. 

-Morgan,...- I complained. 

-Listen to me, she has come for me and nothing is going to stop her. She only need one sacrifice and she has no interest in you. Stay in bed. Tomorrow morning, when the storm has finished, call the coast guards, they will know what to do. 

He walked up to the figure, while I resisted the urge to scream crying silently. He turned around one more time. 

-Good bye my love. The sea goddess is taking me, as she should, to craddle my corpse under the sea. I love you, and I always will. 

The mist swallowed him and returned to the sea. I ran outside just in time to see him being pulled under the sea by an invisible force. I saw his eyes as he sank and he saw mine, and as he died the storm stopped. The clouds cleared and a million stars twinkled overhead, reflecting on the waters. And I was alone as Morgan had been swallowed by the sea forevermore. 

I have never told anyone what really happened that night, I have never been strong enough. I did tell the coast guards, but I was still in shock. They shook their heads, pitting me, pitting Morgan for his bad luck. They told me that the sea was a cruel lover and that she needed sacrifices from time to time. They also told me to tell everyone that Morgan was taken by a wave, that no one would believe me if I did otherwise. I'm only telling you because that's the sea goddess knocking on our door, and she has come for me tonight. 

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of a Doctor Who episode that I absolutely love! Thanks for sharing, Laura! <3

    ReplyDelete