3/14/2011

Reading

I've always been a pasionate of books and stories, when I was a kid and I couldn't still read I always asked my mom for a story and sometimes I actually told her what I wanted in it. When I learned how to read I started reading my own books, I remember a book about the story of Saint George (it's quite big here in Catalunya I'll write a post about it eventually) which I got exactly on Saint George's day, I believe it was my first book and I was six or seven, by 5th grade (so I was ten) I was reading my mom's books, before that my parents used to buy me a book a week, buying the thicker they could find. When I got to high school (spanish one, so from 13 to 18) we were given books to read and I hated them, I found them dull and childish, when I was 14 or 15 I read The Pillars of the Earth in 3 days, I must say that's a record. I've kept the pace, but unfortunately I haven't had so much time lately. After reading all I could in Spanish I moved to English and that's where I am right now.

Why am I telling you all this? Well, last week I got The Wise Man's Fear (that's The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day Two) and I couldn't take my eyes off it, I wanted to know what happened I needed to know and when I was finishing it (four days and a half after) I thought that I would not be able to wait till the next one, and while reading it I was happy it was almost a thousand pages long so I would have more to read. Most people doesn't understand this, they don't like reading, but I was brought up among books and when I've got a new book I rather read it than watch TV, I even read while walking or while eating.

And now I don't have anything to read! I need some recommendations, I want to read Dostoyevsky and Kafka, but I also would like to read some Sci-Fi (I bought Foundation Series last year) or Fantasy (though I know nothing will be able to compare to The Kingkiller Chronicle if you haven't read it do it NOW!)

2 comments:

  1. join the group...i love reading...my house in portugal has so many books that i want to bring here and my house here now has a lot of books...unfortunately i don't have much time to read when school is on. BTw want good idea of books to read? go to http://www.chapters.indigo.ca i always get ideas from there...every time i go to their store at the mall close to my house i stay there for long....love it....or even one that is downtown....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Et recomano: Jane Eyre, El cartero de Neruda (aquest és molt primet te'l llegiràs en un moment), El cuento número 13 (que no sé de qui és ara...), Un mundo feliz (Aldoux Huxley), i el que m'estic acabant ara que és dels millors llibres que m'he llegit mai: Crónica del pájaro que da cuerda al mundo (Haruki Murakami, ke er cert el van premiar la setmana passada)
    A mesura que vagi llegint ja te'n recomanaré més! :)

    ReplyDelete