4/08/2012

Easter

Easter is a strange holiday, at least from my point of view, in Spain it is supposed to be a religious holiday celebrating Jesus death and all that (or as I like to say Zombie Jesus Week) but no one seems to feel it weird that there isn't a exact date when Jesus died. Think about it, when the church decided to put a date to Jesus birthday they fixed a day (December 25th) because older religions celebrated the winter solstice and they sought to find something to substitute this pagan celebration. But with Easter it just doesn't make sense, it used to be a fertility celebration, that's why it depended on the lunar "calendar", but it doesn't make sense to celebrate Jesus death every year on a different day.

Growing up I did go to Palm Sunday (or however is it called) and all the other religious stuff that surrounded Easter, but at the end of the day the thing I was expecting more was "la mona", if you have had a look at the link, you might have seen that there's nothing religious about it. And yet, in some places of Spain, they keep taking out the statues of the virgins to the streets, crying because it is raining. Well, isn't it time we got back to the roots? To celebrate nature?

A couple, or actually more, years ago I started this tradition of celebrating the solstices and the equinoxes, it's only feeling grateful for nature and how lucky we are to be alive. It is much easier to do with the equinoxes since they haven't been substituted with any religious festivity, or at least with any big one. But somehow it is more tricky with the winter solstice with all the christmas stuff.  The summer solstice even if now it is celebrated under a different name and on a different date it has kept its roots, at least in here. I was going to say that it might have been difficult to find a reason in religion in which fire is good, but then I remembered the Spanish Inquisition and all their murders (not only people, but also culture), but that's another topic of which I might talk on another day. So maybe I should start doing the same with Easter, in my head it involves dancing in the rain (it always rains in Easter), I should enjoy nature, people should enjoy nature instead of going to the churches to mutter unintelligible words.

Yet, I stay with the doubt, no one feels that Jesus dying on different days each year is weird? Can someone explain it to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment