4/01/2012

Small things (Part 2)


This is the second part of a work of fiction I'm writing. You can read the first part here

I want to focus on the immediate period before Seth and I parted ways and went to college, that was the last summer of our lives, the best one, but also the saddest one. I took up a summer job to save some money for college, Seth passed his days reading books under a tree in his house's garden. I would go and pick him up to go to the beach or to the swimming pool, though I should actually say that I had to drag him around. Seth was never a people's person, but he was getting more introvert as he grow up, when I was getting much more outgoing, it was a pain to go out with him sometimes having him mumbling insults at everyone who dared to approach him.

One day I took him to a party that someone was throwing out as a farewell. He displayed his usual stubbornness saying that he didn't want to go and that there was no one interesting in there. He was always on the lookout of interesting people and he was really frustrated that summer because he already knew everyone and no one was interesting enough. I guess that I was interesting enough so he could tolerate me, but I did never fulfill his needs. I finally got him in the car and drove to the party. He was silent all along and I never tried to make him speak. We got to the party and he behaved like a normal person for a while, a normal awkward person, but finally he got tired and started asking strange questions to the people who went to talk with him. I knew this strategy, it meant he wanted to stay alone and that he didn't care where it was, the ideal would have been on the moon for him. After a while I saw him talking to himself on a corner of the room and I knew it was time to leave, I didn't mind his talking, but I knew that people would think that he was crazier than he looked like and it only would do him wrong. Seth talked to himself a lot, but it was just an escape valve for his overloaded mind, he thought too much so he needed to relief the pressure, and the best way was to put his thinking in order out loud. We left the party and I drove him home, he had again stopped talking and seemed to be in his own world. That was a bit too much, I knew something was happening and I needed to know what was it. I dropped him off at his house and started planning how could I get to know what was going on inside his mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment