4/17/2014

A Story A Day. Story 103 of 365: Gluttony.

There was food hidden everywhere. Under the mattress, behind the books, even behind the fridge. It was ridiculous! Liam was living alone, for god's sake! Who had he to hide the food from? His parents were heartbroken, he voluntarily entered the eating disorder clinic, without telling anyone. And there was no way anyone would have known, he wasn't fat, he was even fit, and he seemed to eat well. But inside his brain there was a monster called bulimia who was eating him from inside out.

-Liam, what made you come for help?- his psychiatrist asked him on the first appointment.

-I don't know. I just have this need to have food around, to eat all the time, but I can never let anyone see me eat. It makes me feel dirty, judged. I'm always sneaking around to get a bite or two of something. And then I feel people are looking at me, knowing that I'm eating and that I should be ashamed, and I run to the bathroom and I throw up, or I go to the gym and exercise until I'm on the verge of dying.

-It is normal to like food, it's natural, and you shouldn't be ashamed of eating. You just need to change the way you look at it.

-Doctor, you don't understand this, I love food, I really do. I love food so much no one can understand it, people would call me a glutton, or worse. People are not enjoying food anymore, they say they do, but they don't. If you like to eat they judge you, not because it is a sin anymore, but because you are no longer supposed to enjoy food.

No comments:

Post a Comment