4/07/2014

A Story A Day. Story 93 of 365: Quixotic.

Hugh woke up one day not knowing where he was. He had gone to sleep at home the day before, his beautiful wife, Lily, sharing bed with him. However, everything was different, the walls were an aseptic white, the window was on the other side and opened to a garden instead of to the street. The bed was smaller and no one was sharing it with him. He saw some pictures on the nightstand, but he couldn't recognize any of the people on them. There was one that he knew, it was him and his wife on their wedding day.  Where was he? It looked like a hospital, how long had he been asleep if it was a hospital? What happened to him? Why where there so many strange things around the room? He was becoming agitated when an old lady entered the room.

-How are you today, dear?- she asked him sweetly.

-Who are you? What am I doing in here? Where are we? What happened to me?

-Hugh, dear.- she reached for his hand.- I'm Lily, do you remember me? I'm your wife.

-No, you're not, my wife is a young woman.

He reached for her hand to take it out from his and saw his own wrinkled and spotted skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment