9/03/2014

A Story A Day. Story 242 of 365: Pearl (XI).

Helen was feeling the tension, and she was not liking it. She needed to do something to vanish the effect her husband's words had produced. She looked at Hans, but he seemed relaxed and confident, assured his wife only loved him. He wouldn't cooperate. Her only escape was to ask something to Margaret, she had seen how the other woman had cringed at James' unsaid words, she could be an ally.

-So, Margaret, what did you do afterwards? How did you meet Hans?- she didn't need to feign curiosity, she was sure it was an extraordinary story.

-When I realized James wouldn't come- she smiled at him - I decided I wanted to live my own adventure. I was free, I was young, and I had the whole world to explore. I decided to move to Paris, it was full of life and art, and anyone could become whatever they wanted. I started working as a secretary for a lunatic writer, Pierre. He would sleep all day and write all night while drinking bottle after bottle of wine. He had terrible handwriting so it was my work to translate it to something legible. His low production days left me with lots of free time, and I would go around the city, drawing. Paris is an infinite source of inspiration. One day, Pierre woke up just before noon and caught me working on one of my drawings. He was impressed and he insisted on having a friend of his look at them, he said I had more talent than most of the so-called painters in the city. I was reluctant, at first, what could a drunken writer know about paintings? But he was very insistent, and I finally conceded, that was how I met Hans.

-I didn't know you were an art merchant, Hans.- James commented, completely engrossed with the story.

-Oh, I am not, my friend Gunther is.- the Swedish explained.- I just happened to be there in the art gallery that day. It was a streak of luck, because, possibly, if I hadn't gone, I would have never met this lovely lady.

-Yes, you were lucky. As I was saying, Pierre convinced me to go to Gunther's art gallery. He took me there, proud as a peacock, eager to show the world the talent he had discovered. I trailed behind, carrying a folder with my drawings, still considering whether it was a good idea. I was terrified of the real critics. Pierre was biased, he wanted me to sleep with him and his boyfriend of the time, so he would say anything to flatter me. When we arrived, Gunther and Hans were talking while sharing a bottle of wine. Pierre immediately helped himself to a glass, and served one for me. I was too distracted, however, I had fallen in love.

-It was love at first sight! How romantic,...- Helen interrupted.

Margaret and Hans looked at each other and laughed.

-Not quite.- Margaret said.- I fell in love with Gunther. He looked so sophisticated, and he was probably the most handsome man I have ever met. He looked at my drawings and told me he was willing to sell some of them. I couldn't believe my ears. The following months passed between afternoons at the art gallery, and parties deep into the night. And every time I was more and more in love with Gunther. I had always been brave and straightforwards, but there was something that prevented me from being so with him. However, Hans was always there for me, he didn't know I loved Gunther, if he had he would have told me he was married. When I found out, I was disappointed, but glad I hadn't done anything terrible. From that point on, I spent much more time with Hans, he was considerate, he showed me parts of the city I had never been to, and we would speak for hours. We fell in love slowly, reaching milestones without hurrying. One day he told me ha had to go back to Sweden and I knew I had to go with him. We married a week before leaving, at a small Parisian church. Pierre was heartbroken, but he recovered fast enough, for what I heard. We moved to Sweden where I learnt that the sun can be up in the middle of the night, and winter can be interminable. I loved the country, but after some time I started missing the English countryside, and the wild sea at the seashore.

-She talked so much about England, I needed to come and see it with my own eyes. Also, she insisted it was a better place to form a family, she was scared of our future children freezing to death.- Hans joked in a deep voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment