9/19/2014

A Story A Day. Story 258 of 365: Festival.

We met at a summer festival. I had gone there with some friends, because a band we had always wanted to see was playing. We didn't really care about the rest of the line-up, so we spent most of the time during concerts drinking beer apart from the dancing crowd. Eventually, if we considered the band to be good enough, we would get closer to the stage.

I was queueing to get some cold beer, and she appeared just next to me. I still remember her as if she were here, she had long dark hair that stumbled in waves down her waist, she had adorned her hair with pink, white, and blue flowers. Her eyes were hazelnut, surrounded by very long and very think eyelashes. Her nose was straight, covered with little freckles. Her lips were naturally pink, and her teeth shinned like pearls behind them. She was wearing a flowery summer dress that accentuated both her slim and tall frame and her tanned skin. She told me her name was Aoide, but I never knew if it was her real name. She asked me a lot of questions while queueing, but she hardly ever replied to mine. Eventually, she would smile and ask me something different, the only things I could get out of her was that she had kind of come alone, but I couldn't get any explanation on what it meant, and that she was from Greek origin. I was really interested in Greece, so I asked her more, she told me she was from a very remote area, and that the world was her home at that moment.

She came with me to sit with my friends and discuss music, it was clear that she was well informed. She spent the whole day with us, seemingly tireless. When the sun set she was still full of energy. She insisted on going to the nearby forest, and since all the others were too tired, I went alone with her.

The forest was thick, and almost no one had adventured into it. We walked for some time and heard the flowing water of a river. I had never known there was one there, in fact everyone I spoke to afterwards swore that there wasn't one. We followed the sound and arrived to a meadow where the moon shone. Aoide's skin seemed to reflect all of the moonlight and looked silvery. Without a word she undressed and dove into the river. The water in contact with her skin sparkled, and for some reason her hair remained dry and the flowers didn't fall off. Now that I think about it, they did look fresh throughout the day. Looking at her I knew I had to get next to her. I didn't care if it was deep or not, or how strong the current was, the only thing that mattered was her. The whole situation was unworldly, the silence of the night, the light of the moon, and her. Aoide approached and kissed me. I don't remember anything from that point on. I woke up on the shore alone, but dressed, and I worked my way back to the tent where my friends were sleeping. Aoide had disappeared. I asked around, but no one seemed to have seen her. And, when I told my friends what had happened, they told me I had been drugged. Yet, I knew it had been real, and I knew it had sparked the need to write songs that I had. Aoide is the reason why I sing and I tour the world, hoping I will find her again.

No comments:

Post a Comment