9/05/2014

A Story A Day. Story 244 of 365: Disappear.

The day I met Dawn I didn't suspect she would change my life in such a way. We met at French class, she was a bubbly newcomer who wanted to learn the language as fast as she could to go on adventures in the countryside. I had been trying to learn the language for ages, being an English teacher I thought I didn't need it much, but I wanted to learn, nonetheless. I have to confess that the easiness with which she picket up the language hurt my pride. But I don't want to talk about my inability to learn, because that is not what is important.

As I was saying, Dawn was extremely outgoing, she was barely twenty-three, but she had already seen half of the world. We got along well, but we never saw each other after class. However, one day, we were the only students, and the teacher decided to make us practice our speaking skills. We talked, in a very basic French, about our lives and our dreams But as we didn't have the level for the conversation, we couldn't dig into what the the other person was saying. For that reason, Dawn proposed to go have a coffee after class, she liked me, she said. During coffee she asked me questions non-stop. I had mentioned I had always wanted to write books for children, and she was very excited about the idea, she insisted I should be doing it, and that I needed to believe in myself. After that day, almost every week, we would go out for coffee, only the two of us. Her insistence paid off and I started writing, I would bring the tales and show them to her. I owe her my writing career, in fact.

One day, she stopped coming to class. No one knew where had she gone, and on one could contact her in any way. She had disappeared, vanished into thin air. And I have never been able to thank her for helping me overcome the fear to chase my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment