3/31/2018

A Story A Day. Story 353 of 365: Best (Part XXIII).

Leo was charming throughout the dinner, asking her questions about her childhood, sharing his adventures as a fireman. He gave her the tastier bites of the fish, and didn't eat much himself. Because they had asked so much to eat, they soon were left alone. The conversation moved to more private affairs, with Ismene telling Leo how she had dumped her last boyfriend.

-I had always said that I wanted to move abroad as soon as I finished my PhD. Everyone knew, and they accepted it. He seemed to accept it too, but when the time came and Dr. Shannon made me a post-doc offer, he panicked. He told me that I couldn't leave, that he wouldn't let me, that I couldn't do that to him. I tried to reason with him, I did, but he wouldn't listen. In the end I had to break up with him. There's a limit of what I can put up with, and that was enough.

-Still, it should have been hard for you. You loved him, it's not like you can forget about love from one day to the other.

-Well, it was not like I saw him being the father of my children or anything. I loved him, but I was already seeing that it was going nowhere, and that was the perfect opportunity to break up with him. Maybe my heart is cold and frozen like ice, but I don't want to date someone who gets between me and my professional interests. Yet, he has been my longest lasting relationship, so I thought a lot before finishing it. It was specially tough for the families, I think our grandmas were already planning the wedding. My mum was kind of relieved when I told her. And my dad was happy, I guess he never really liked him.

-I'm glad you decided to come regardless of what he told you.- Leo confessed.- And I'm glad you're single.

-What about you? I've heard some pretty wild stories about your amorous escapades.

-It's all lies.- he defended himself.

-Is it?- Ismene teased him.

-Sort of. I've been dating lots of girls, that is true. But it hasn't been like I've been taking profit of them or anything. I know what I want, and some of those girls, seemed to be what I wanted. Until I got to know them better. Some others were just for fun, and we had agreed on it. And the rest took me as a challenge, I was the prize to be won.

-And you're going to tell me that not even once during all your adult life have you found what you were looking for? It's hard to believe.

-I have. Twice. The first time I was really young, in high school actually, she was a classmate, and a soulmate. We started dating when we were seventeen, and we got engaged as soon as we finished university. I didn't have eyes for anyone but her. She was my world, my only one. We weren't on the same page, though. She called off the engagement three days before the wedding. I was devastated, it took me a long time to trust on anyone again. That was the period when I simply hooked up with whoever happened to be around. I'm not proud of that, but it was the only way out I could see.

-What happened with her?

-She started dating this guy she had met at uni. They married a couple of year ago. I wish I could say I forgave her, but I didn't. She left scars on my heart that will take a long time to heal. I wish her well, though, and I hope she never hurts anyone as she hurt me.

-With time you'll be able to forgive her.- Ismene replied.

-I don't know.- he said shaking his head.- I really don't know.

-You will. I'm sure. No matter how much someone has hurt you, you always end up forgiving them, specially if it was someone as important for you as her.

-Maybe you're right.- he said thoughtfully.

-And who was the second one?

-What?

-You said that you've found what you're looking for twice. She was the first one, who was the second one?

-You.

Ismene froze in place. He certainly hadn't said what she had just heard. It wasn't possible. How could he be so sure? She wasn't that was clear. She thought of Frode, and how he had so much to tell, of how she liked the way he smelt, and his deep voice. She thought of Leo also, how she could be herself around him, and how he was so good in bed. She wanted to say something, but no words would come. Anyway, what is one supposed to reply to that?

No comments:

Post a Comment