2/22/2017

Dream On. Chapter 22: The strange power

Previously...

The strange power

Mayra and Albert dressed warmly and set off for a walk after promising to be on time for Christmas lunch. They walked next to the beach, and up the cliffs where the lighthouse was. They sat on a wooden bench facing the sea, it was a bit windy but pleasant.
-So, what's the mystery?- Mayra said looking at him with her big bright green eyes.
-It's difficult to explain because I don't even understand it myself. The thing is that, apparently, I am a Dreamer. I know what you're about to say, that everyone dreams, but I should be able to control the reality through my dreams. I don't really know how it works because I still haven't experienced it, but there are some people who think I'm powerful, and they want me to work for them. The thing is that one of these people is a girl who goes with me at the university, grandma told me to be careful around her. And that book I got today? This girl has it too.
-Hmmm... I don't know what to tell you, but if this book is so important maybe you should read it, don't you think?
-I guess so... but I also have to study for the exams...- he said resigned.
-Ok, let's do this. I'll read the book for you while you study, and then I'll tell you if there's something you need to know. But once you finish your exams you have to read it yourself. Agreed?
-Agreed.- smiled her brother.
They stayed a bit longer looking at the sea and sharing anecdotes from their childhood. After a while, they started their way back home.
-By the way, little sister, who's that guy who came to pick you up the other day?- he teased her.
-Oh, just some guy from the school...
-Are you going out with him?
-No, I'm not!- she replied punching him on the arm.- Just because you're dating half of the girls in the campus, it doesn't mean I do the same.
-Hush! I'm not dating half of the girls in the campus... I'm not even dating one.
-I don't believe you. Tell me the truth.- she demanded.
-Ok, I like this girl, and she likes me too, in a way. But she's got a boyfriend and she asked me for some time to think about it.
-Wow! That girl must be really special to have converted you from the heartbreaker that you used to be!- she poked at him.
-Don't be mean!
-C'mon, you know that most of the girls at high school were in love with you... Most of my friends still are. I had to fight with them to leave you alone these days, otherwise, we would have at least one of them at home at all times.
-Now you're exaggerating!- Albert said.
-I'm not, I swear! I can give you the whole list.

And like that they walked home to met their family for Christmas lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment